Refractive index of Vanillin and p-bromobenzophenone

In summary, the conversation involves a person seeking help with obtaining the refractive index for vanillin and p-bromobenzophenone for an organic chemistry assignment. They mention their struggle in finding the information in their textbook and ask for suggestions for alternative sources. Another person suggests checking the CRC Handbook and the first person inquires about where to download it. The conversation ends with a possible assumption that the temperature for the refractive index reading is 25C.
shad0w0f3vil
Hi,

I have an organic chemistry assignment identifying an unknown sample. My tutor has asked for the properties (I can find all but refractive index) for vanillin and p-bromobenzophenone.

I found that for Vanillin it is 1.555 but I know that it changes with temperature and I cannot find a temperature for this reading.

I was just wondering if anyone knows a good website or has a good chemistry textbook lying around with this information (I couldn't find it in the VOGEL text...)

Kind regards,

Chemistry news on Phys.org
shad0w0f3vil said:
Hi,

I have an organic chemistry assignment identifying an unknown sample. My tutor has asked for the properties (I can find all but refractive index) for vanillin and p-bromobenzophenone.

I found that for Vanillin it is 1.555 but I know that it changes with temperature and I cannot find a temperature for this reading.

I was just wondering if anyone knows a good website or has a good chemistry textbook lying around with this information (I couldn't find it in the VOGEL text...)

Kind regards,

Try the CRC Handbook

gabriels-horn said:
Try the CRC Handbook

I downloaded the handbook and only found dibromobenzophenone.

Any other ideas please?

shad0w0f3vil said:
I downloaded the handbook and only found dibromobenzophenone.

Any other ideas please?

Where do you download the CRC handbook?

Probably safe to assume 25C.

1. What is the refractive index of Vanillin?

The refractive index of Vanillin is approximately 1.539 at 20°C.

2. What is the refractive index of p-bromobenzophenone?

The refractive index of p-bromobenzophenone is approximately 1.616 at 25°C.

3. How does the refractive index of Vanillin compare to p-bromobenzophenone?

Vanillin has a lower refractive index compared to p-bromobenzophenone, indicating it has a lower optical density and can bend light less than p-bromobenzophenone.

4. Can the refractive index of Vanillin and p-bromobenzophenone be used for identification purposes?

Yes, refractive index is one of the physical properties that can be used to identify substances. However, it should be used in conjunction with other identification methods for more accurate results.

5. How does temperature affect the refractive index of Vanillin and p-bromobenzophenone?

Generally, the refractive index of a substance increases with increasing temperature. However, the exact effect of temperature on the refractive index of Vanillin and p-bromobenzophenone may vary and should be determined experimentally for more accurate results.