Modeling index of refraction of dilute gases

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Habeebe
Messages
37
Reaction score
1
I'm interested in predicting the index of refraction of atmospheric air and several nonpolar gases at room temperature for pressures of 1 atm - 0 atm. I'm not really sure where to get started. I have found the relation [tex]n=\sqrt{1+\frac{3AP}{RT}}[/tex] but I don't really get where it comes from. Well, it was said to come from the Lorentz-Lorenz equation, but the Lorentz-Lorenz equation describes crystals so I have no clue how you turn it into a description of gases.

Basically, I need to find a way to draw a curve predicting index of refraction as a function of pressure over the 0-1 atm range for various gases, and I don't know how to figure out what the dependence is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
This paper and the reference 7 cited give an introduction to the topic.

http://web.mit.edu/ytc/www/HLMA/Ref/opticsPaper02.pdf