Regarding the idea of potential energy

In summary, potential energy is only defined for conservative forces and does not exist for non-conservative forces. This is because the definition of potential energy relies on the work done against the conservative force, which cannot be applied to non-conservative forces. While the textbook may define potential energy without reference to conservative forces, it is only through the formula for potential energy due to a conservative force that potential energy can be accurately calculated and applied. This creates a contradiction, as the textbook defines potential energy as a general concept, but the formula for potential energy only applies to conservative forces.
walking
I am studying basic mechanics and have reached the chapter on potential energy. However I am a bit confused about the difference between potential energy and the formula for the potential energy due to work done by a conservative force. I am not sure which of the following interpretations is correct:

**Possibility 1.**

One possibility is that potential energy is a general idea which doesn't have anything to do with conservative forces. The formula for potential energy however would only be for conservative forces, because the textbook says that the work done by nonconservative forces depends on the path and not just the end points, hence a formula for them doesn't exist.

So in this possibility, it would seem as though potential energy is one thing, and the formula for it is another (more specific) thing which only exists for conservative forces. But then why are both referred to as "potential energy", and why does the textbook say that potential energy is *defined* by the formula (meaning that potential energy as a general concept is specifically only for conservative forces?).

**Possibility 2.**

Another possibility is that potential energy is only defined for conservative forces to begin with. In this case, there would be no such thing as potential energy for nonconservative forces.

But this confuses me a bit because the book defines potential energy without reference to conservative forces, as simply being the energy a system possesses due to its configuration. However, the reason why I think possibility 2 is correct is because all of the textbooks I have read say that potential energy is *defined* by the formula for potential energy due to a conservative force. This would mean that potential energy indeed only exists for conservative forces.

**Conclusion**

I am unable to decide which of the two possibilities is correct. There seems to be a contradiction here which I am not seeing how to avoid.

Physics news on Phys.org
walking said:
**Possibility 2.**

Another possibility is that potential energy is only defined for conservative forces to begin with. In this case, there would be no such thing as potential energy for nonconservative forces.
This is correct.

walking said:
But this confuses me a bit because the book defines potential energy without reference to conservative forces, as simply being the energy a system possesses due to its configuration.
If the force governing a system is non-conservative then there is not a well defined energy for a given configuration. The path taken to arrive at the configuration would also matter, not just the configuration.

Likes vanhees71 and walking
walking said:
formula for the potential energy due to work done by a conservative force
Actually, it is the work done AGAINS the conservative force. Think of gravity. A body above the surface of the Earth has some potential energy but to get it up, you have to lift it, i.e. do work against the gravity. Now, the energy gained (relative to a reference height) is equal to ## m \cdot g \cdot \delta h ##. where m is the mass of the body, g, free fall acceleration and ## \delta h ## is the height the body is lifted to. Obviously, the potential energy depend only on the difference between the original and final position of that body and its mass.
An example of a non-conservative field is an induce electric field by a change of a magnetic field. This is used commonly in transformers. The key is that the induced voltage (energy is equal to voltage * charge) depends in the number of turns of the winding of the transformer. The initial and final points do not matter much.
So yes, the potential energy can only be defined for a conservative field.

What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its position or state. It is stored energy that has the potential to do work.

What are the different types of potential energy?

There are several types of potential energy, including gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, chemical potential energy, and nuclear potential energy.

How is potential energy calculated?

Potential energy is calculated by multiplying the force acting on an object by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force. This equation is PE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

What is the relationship between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy and kinetic energy are two forms of energy that are interrelated. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. For example, when a ball is held at a certain height, it has potential energy. When it is released, it begins to move and gains kinetic energy while losing potential energy.

How is potential energy important in everyday life?

Potential energy plays a crucial role in many aspects of our daily lives, such as in the functioning of machines, the generation of electricity, and the movement of objects. It also helps us understand the behavior of objects and their ability to do work.