Regularization of a divergent integral in several variables

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a divergent integral and a proposed solution to regularize it by subtracting terms. However, this solution may not work for meromorphic functions in multiple variables. The conversation also explores the possibility of using Laurent expansion and polar coordinates to simplify the integral.
zetafunction
i've got the following problem

let be the integral [tex] \int_{R^{3}} dxdydz \frac{R(x,y,z)}{Q(x,y,z)} [/tex]

here R(x,y,z) and Q(x,y,z) are Polynomials on several variable.

Let us suppose this integral is divergent, in order to regularize it i have thought about substracting several terms so

[tex] \int_{R^{3}} dxdydz( \frac{R(x,y,z)}{Q(x,y,z)}-\sum_{i,j,k} C_{i,j,k}(x+a)^{i}(y+b)^{j}(z+c)^{k}) [/tex]

is convergent, here i,j,k can run from -1 to up a certain finite integer

for the one dimensional case i know how to do it but i have not any idea to generalize to several variables

Physics news on Phys.org
Meromorphic functions in two or more variables don't have isolated singularities. Hence we can't use the form you've suggested & use functions in x,y,z, Further, non-homogeneous rational functions don't split into partial fractions easily.

Eynstone said:
Meromorphic functions in two or more variables don't have isolated singularities. Hence we can't use the form you've suggested & use functions in x,y,z, Further, non-homogeneous rational functions don't split into partial fractions easily.

however, what would happen if this singularities are OFF the region of the integration , for example

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty} \int_{0}^{\infty}dxdydz \frac{xyz}{xy+yz+zx+2} [/tex]

has NO poles or singularities on the interval [0,oo) x[0,oo) x[0,oo)

zetafunction said:
however, what would happen if this singularities are OFF the region of the integration
One might have some luck with the Laurent expansion in that case.

could not one use a change to polar coordinates so the integral is now

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty}r^{2}drF(r, \theta , \phi )d\theta \dphi [/tex]

integration over the angles will make the integral to be one dimensional

1. What is regularization in the context of a divergent integral in several variables?

Regularization is a mathematical technique used to assign a finite value to a divergent integral. It involves modifying the original integral in a way that eliminates the divergence and allows for the calculation of a meaningful result.

2. Why is regularization necessary for divergent integrals in several variables?

Divergent integrals in several variables arise in many areas of mathematics and physics, and they often have important physical interpretations. By regularizing these integrals, we can obtain meaningful results that can be used to make predictions and test theories.

3. What are some common methods of regularization for divergent integrals in several variables?

Some common methods of regularization include dimensional regularization, zeta function regularization, and cutoff regularization. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of divergent integrals.

4. Can regularization be applied to any divergent integral in several variables?

While regularization is a powerful technique, it may not always be possible to apply it to every divergent integral in several variables. The applicability of regularization depends on the nature of the integral and the chosen method of regularization.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using regularization for divergent integrals in several variables?

One limitation of regularization is that it may introduce artificial parameters or cutoff scales, which can affect the physical interpretation of the result. Additionally, the choice of regularization method may also impact the final result, leading to potential inconsistencies. Thus, it is important to carefully consider the implications of regularization before applying it to a divergent integral.