1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related Rates and acceleration

1. Dec 31, 2009 #1
    I have a question about a related rates, i already solved it, but i would like someone to confirm it to me .

* The relation between distance s and velocity v is given by v=[tex]\frac{150s}{3+s}[/tex]. Find the acceleration in terms of s.

As you can see my final answer is a in terms of v and s, not s only .. .but am not sure what to do to getrid of this v..

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2009 #2
    There's a mistake between the third and forth lines. Also, what substitution can you make to get rid of v?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  4. Jan 1, 2010 #3

thanks, the 4th line should be [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{450v}{(3+s)^2}[/tex]

am not sure what sub. get rid of v.
    but v' will give me a instead of v, but is that possible, i mean, if i want to get V' i will have to take thderivative for the whole thing.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #4

kreil

Gold Member

Your original velocity equation expresses v in terms of s; use that.

6. Jan 1, 2010 #5
    sorry but i don't know what you mean .

The Question asked me to find a in terms of s , not v in terms of s

7. Jan 3, 2010 #6

kreil

Gold Member

your expression for a is correct, but it contains a 'v'. in order to express a completely in terms of s, you need to use the equation [tex]v=\frac{150s}{3+s}[/tex] and plug this into your equation for a.

8. Jan 3, 2010 #7
    Ah, that make sense, thank you :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook