Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Related Rates and acceleration

1. Dec 31, 2009 #1
    I have a question about a related rates, i already solved it, but i would like someone to confirm it to me .

* The relation between distance s and velocity v is given by v=[tex]\frac{150s}{3+s}[/tex]. Find the acceleration in terms of s.

As you can see my final answer is a in terms of v and s, not s only .. .but am not sure what to do to getrid of this v..

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2009 #2
    There's a mistake between the third and forth lines. Also, what substitution can you make to get rid of v?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  4. Jan 1, 2010 #3

thanks, the 4th line should be [tex]\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]= [tex]\frac{450v}{(3+s)^2}[/tex]

am not sure what sub. get rid of v.
    but v' will give me a instead of v, but is that possible, i mean, if i want to get V' i will have to take thderivative for the whole thing.

5. Jan 1, 2010 #4

kreil

Gold Member

Your original velocity equation expresses v in terms of s; use that.

6. Jan 1, 2010 #5
    sorry but i don't know what you mean .

The Question asked me to find a in terms of s , not v in terms of s

7. Jan 3, 2010 #6

kreil

Gold Member

your expression for a is correct, but it contains a 'v'. in order to express a completely in terms of s, you need to use the equation [tex]v=\frac{150s}{3+s}[/tex] and plug this into your equation for a.

8. Jan 3, 2010 #7
    Ah, that make sense, thank you :D

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook