1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Related rates problem with a twist

1. Apr 29, 2007 #1
    I have this problem, and I have attepmted a classical approach without much success.

A man 5 ft tall runs at a rate of 8ft/sec towards a source of light that arises vertically at a point A. The height of the light source H, is given by the formula h(t)=t^3 +1, in feet, where time t is measured in seconds. At what rate is the length of the man's shadow decreasing at time=10seconds?

I have tried establishing the geometrical relationships between the height h(t) and the distance between the point A and the tip of the man's shadow.
    say, if we call "s" the length of the shadow, and 'x' the distance between the man and point A, we have that h/5=x/s but then I do not have any other information about the problem. What's next??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Take another look at your picture! At any given instant, we have two triangles: one with a vertical side of length h (the light), the other with a vertical side of length 5 (the man). The horizontal sides of those triangles are s+ x and s respectively. (Notice that there is NO triangle with side length x: there is no triangle with vertex at the man.)

Using "similar triangles", you have s/5= (x+s)/h. Not to convert that from a "static" equation to one involving rates of change, differentiate both sides with respect to t. You are given that dx/dt= -8. Knowing that h(t)= t3+ 1, you can calculate dh/dt, as a function of t, and so find ds/dt as a function of t.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?