Relating Momentum and Kinetic energy in collision

In summary, the collision between two particles results in a change in their speeds and a loss of kinetic energy.
gills

Homework Statement

Two particles move perpendicular to each other until they collide. Particle 1 has mass m and momentum of magnitude 2p , and particle 2 has mass 2m and momentum of magnitude p . Note: Magnitudes are not drawn to scale in any of the figures.

Suppose that after the collision, the particles "trade" their momenta, as shown in the figure. That is, particle 1 now has magnitude of momentum p , and particle 2 has magnitude of momentum 2p ; furthermore, each particle is now moving in the direction in which the other had been moving. How much kinetic energy, Klost , is lost in the collision?

Express your answer in terms of m and p.

Homework Equations

[tex]\sum[/tex] m_i * v_i

?? K = Kcenter mass + Kinternal?

MLM_in_7.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble relating the momentums and kinetic energies. If someone can provide a little guidance, that would be great.

Since that collision seems to be elastic, I'm assuming that the kinetic energy of the system is being conserved.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Figure out the change in speed of each mass. For example: If the 1m mass has initial speed of v (and initial momentum mv), what's its final speed if its momentum is now 2mv?

Then just crank out the kinetic energies of each mass before and after the collision and find the difference.

(Be sure to express your final answers in terms of the given data: the momentum p and mass m.)

Alternatively, just express the KE of a particle in term of its momentum and mass. Then you can compare the KEs directly.

gills said:
Since that collision seems to be elastic, I'm assuming that the kinetic energy of the system is being conserved.
I don't know why you think it seems to be elastic, but it's not. (If it were elastic, there would be no change in KE. Calculate it and see for yourself!)

Last edited:
the Ek lost is equal to the Ek initially minus the Ek final.

get an equation from this, and substitute the speeds in this equation by m and p.

e.g. 2p = m*u1

u1 = 2p/m

where u1 is the initial speed of mass m.

Ok if i relate the given information to the initial and final velocities and then use:

[tex]\Delta[/tex]K = Kf-Ki or should i use:

Ki-Kf

The latter will give a negative sense I'm assuming.

Here's my processes, but I'm not getting the right answer.

Initial velocities:
1)ball of mass m ---> 2p = mv ----> v = 2p/m

2)ball of mass 2m ---> p = mv ----> v = 2m/p

after collision

Final velocites:
1) ball of mass m ---> p = mv ---> v = p/m

2) ball of mass 2m ---> 2p = 2mv ---> v = 2p/2m ---> v = p/m

Using conservation of Kinetic energy theorem:

(1/2)m*(2p/m)^2 + (1/2)2m*(2m/p)^2 = (1/2)m*(p/m)^2 + (1/2)2m(p/m)^2 --->

[(1/2)m*(2p/m)^2 + (1/2)2m*(2m/p)^2] - (1/2)m*(p/m)^2 + (1/2)2m(p/m)^2 = [tex]\Delta[/tex]K

Simplified=

(2p^2)/m + (4m^3)/p^2 - (3p^2)/2m

...am i on the right track?

gills said:
Initial velocities:
1)ball of mass m ---> 2p = mv ----> v = 2p/m
OK.

2)ball of mass 2m ---> p = mv ----> v = 2m/p
You flipped this one around; it should be: p = (2m)v ---> v = p/2m

after collision

Final velocites:
1) ball of mass m ---> p = mv ---> v = p/m

2) ball of mass 2m ---> 2p = 2mv ---> v = 2p/2m ---> v = p/m
OK.

Yes, you're on the right track.

Doc Al said:
OK.

You flipped this one around; it should be: p = (2m)v ---> v = p/2m

OK.

Yes, you're on the right track.

DOH! no wonder why it's wrong.

So with the correction I'm getting:

2p^2/m + p^2/4m - [(p^2/2m) + (p^2/m)] -->

9p^2/4m - 3p^2/2m -->

3p^2/4m

how's that look? I'm running out of attempts on my web assignment ;)

Looks good to me.

Doc Al said:
Looks good to me.

It was right, thank you!

in the next question it asks how much K is lost if the collision were completely inelastic.

Just by messing around with it a little, I'm getting that it'll still be:

3p^2/4m

Is that correct?

no, it's not correct. Damn, any advice?

gills said:
in the next question it asks how much K is lost if the collision were completely inelastic.

Just by messing around with it a little, I'm getting that it'll still be:

3p^2/4m

Is that correct?
It better not be! A completely inelastic collision is one that loses the most KE.

What's the final speed after the collision and how did you figure it out?

Doc Al said:
It better not be! A completely inelastic collision is one that loses the most KE.

What's the final speed after the collision and how did you figure it out?

well a completely inelastic collision =

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2)*Vf ---> in this case --->

m1v1 = 2p and m2v2 = p --> right or wrong? --> therefore -->

2p + p = (m + 2m)*Vf -->

3p = 3m*Vf ---> Vf = 3p/3m --> Vf = p/m --> which is the same as before. And plugged into the K_final part -->

(1/2)(m+2m)*(p/m)^2 ---> which turns out to be the same exact expression as before in K_f which =

(3p^2)/2m

What am i assuming incorrectly?

Last edited:
Your error is assuming that you can just add the momenta as if they were just numbers: 2p + p = 3p. Nope!

The momenta are vectors and you need to add them like vectors. Find the resultant total momentum and use that to figure out the final speed.

Doc Al said:
Your error is assuming that you can just add the momenta as if they were just numbers: 2p + p = 3p. Nope!

The momenta are vectors and you need to add them like vectors. Find the resultant total momentum and use that to figure out the final speed.

i'm always forgetting little things like this!

2p_i + p_j --->therefore-->

|p| = [tex]\sqrt{(2p^2) + p^2}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]p --->

[tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]p = (3m)* Vf -->

Vf = [tex]\sqrt{5}[/tex]p/(3m) ?

Good!

Doc Al said:
Good!

you rock! it was right, thanks again

1. How are momentum and kinetic energy related in a collision?

During a collision, momentum and kinetic energy are related through the conservation of momentum and conservation of energy principles. This means that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the objects involved in the collision will remain the same before and after the collision.

2. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. Momentum is measured in units of kg*m/s.

3. How is kinetic energy calculated in a collision?

Kinetic energy in a collision is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * mv^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity. Kinetic energy is measured in units of joules (J).

4. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not lose any energy or deform during the collision.

5. How does the mass and velocity of objects affect the outcome of a collision?

The mass and velocity of objects play a significant role in the outcome of a collision. The larger the mass and velocity of an object, the greater its momentum and kinetic energy, which can result in a more significant impact during a collision. Additionally, the ratio of mass and velocity between two objects can also affect the transfer of momentum and energy during a collision.