Relation between Angular speeds/accelerations

In summary, at a constant rate of 1.6 rad/s2, the angular speed of wheel A will be increased to 140 rpm. This will take .4375 seconds.
mircobot
I have been having trouble with the following question on my homework:

wheel A of radius rA = 15 cm is coupled by belt B to wheel C of radius rC = 22 cm. The angular speed of wheel A is increased from rest at a constant rate of 1.6 rad/s2. Find the time needed for wheel C to reach an angular speed of 140 rev/min, assuming the belt does not slip.

HINT: The constant angular-acceleration equations apply. The linear speeds at the rims are equal. What then is the relation between the angular speeds and the angular accelerations?

please help, thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
For reference:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rotq.html
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html

Now there are two concepts here.

1. A disc starts from rest at constant angular acceleration.

So find the equation that gives the angular velocity at the surface of A, at constant angular acceleration at time = t.

2. Then determine the tangential velocity of the belt B, v(t).

The belt drives disc C, so one has to convert v(t) to the angular velocity of C and when it reaches 140 rpm (pay attention to units; angular velocity is in rad/s). It's somewhat the reverse process of part 1.

the only equation i can think of that relates to a constant acceleration is v1 = v2 +at

i need some more help because i know that isn't right...

i found the time to be .4375s

One needs the analog of v1 = v2 +at for rotational motion.

[tex]\omega(t) = \omega_0 + \alpha*t[/tex], where [itex]\omega(t)[/itex] is angular velocity, and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is angular acceleration.

The linear or tangential velocity at radius r is just v(t) = [itex]\omega(t)[/itex]*r,

and dividing by r, [itex]\omega(t)[/itex] = (v(t)/r.

alright, that helped a lot. now i see the relationship and substitution... also i was using A's radius, not C's.

1. What is the difference between angular speed and angular acceleration?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates around a fixed axis, measured in radians per second. Angular acceleration is the rate at which the angular speed changes, measured in radians per second squared. In simpler terms, angular speed measures how fast an object is rotating, while angular acceleration measures how quickly that speed is changing.

2. How are angular speed and angular acceleration related?

Angular acceleration is directly proportional to the angular speed squared. This means that as the angular speed increases, the angular acceleration also increases at a faster rate. This relationship is expressed by the equation: α = ω²/r, where α is the angular acceleration, ω is the angular speed, and r is the radius of rotation.

3. How do we calculate angular speed and angular acceleration?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the angle of rotation by the time it takes to complete that rotation. Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular speed by the time it takes for that change to occur. Both measurements are typically expressed in radians per second or radians per second squared.

4. What are some real-life examples of angular speed and angular acceleration?

There are many examples of angular speed and angular acceleration in everyday life. Some common examples include the rotation of a car's wheels, the spinning of a top, the movement of a fan, and the swinging of a pendulum. In each of these cases, the object is rotating around a fixed axis and has both an angular speed and angular acceleration.

5. How do angular speed and angular acceleration relate to centripetal force?

Angular speed and angular acceleration are directly related to centripetal force. As an object rotates at a constant angular speed, there is a centripetal force acting towards the center of rotation, keeping the object in its circular path. The magnitude of this force is directly proportional to the square of the angular speed and inversely proportional to the radius of rotation. Similarly, an increase in angular acceleration will result in an increase in the centripetal force acting on the object.