1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relation of max velocity and max tension

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    a ball is whirling on the end of the string L
    the max tension is Tbreak
    the max velocity is vmax
    find an equation for vmaxin m(mass of ball)Tbreak, L and g

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2
    im not sure i thought of the question myself, as i was doing circular motion
    but thanks for the derivation.

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

@havoc: you will get the most out of these forums if you attempt the problem yourself - then we will know what you are getting stuck on. Otherwise we just end up doing the problem for you and you don't learn as much.

What didn't you understand about the problem?

@bigerst: If you suspect homework - why give so much detail?
    Even if it isn't homework, the questioner will still be helped best if you just point them in the right direction where they are lost and let them make the journey ;)

5. Aug 22, 2012 #4
    i was getting mixed up while using L and T during trig so i was getting all sorts of weird solutions.
    I'll take care from now and will explain my situation completely(i did try it myself)
    havoc

6. Aug 22, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries - it is good that you try things out yourself ... it is better that you tell people what you've tried. That is information we can use to help you and fyi you won't be showing anyone anything they haven't done themselves.

In general, in science, where you make mistakes is often more valuable than where you get things right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook