Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between determinant and trace

1. Apr 30, 2010 #1
    Hi...

We have all seen the equation det(M)=exp(tr(lnM)). I was taught the proof using diagonalisation. I was wondering if there was a proof for non-diagonalisable matrices also.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2010 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Theorem 2.11, page 36. (And I don't think that logarithm is supposed to be there).

4. Apr 30, 2010 #3
    Thanks...:smile: .....the way I have written it, the logarithm is supposed to be there...

5. Apr 30, 2010 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, I see it now. The left-hand side in the book is det(exp(M)), not det(M).

6. Apr 30, 2010 #5
    The book by Hall (linked above) uses the decomposition into diagonalisable + nilpotent which is very important in Lie group theory. As slightly more direct approach is to use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_normal_form" [Broken].

Schur decomposition: an arbitrary matrix M decomposes as QUQ-1 where U is upper-triangular and (therefore) has the eigenvalues of M on its diagonal.

det(exp(M)) = det(exp(QUQ-1)) = det(Q exp(U) Q-1) = det(exp(U)) = ∏i exp(λi) = exp(∑λi)

exp(tr(M)) = exp(tr(QMQ-1)) = exp(tr(MQ-1Q)) = exp(tr(M)) = exp(∑λi)

btw, in general it is best to not use the logarithm form - because not all matrices will possess a logarithm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook