Relationship between electric energy and force

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of β decay, in which protons decay into neutrons or vice versa, emitting electrons or positrons at high velocity. In an experiment, a β source and β+ source are placed 10 cm apart from each other. The particles are emitted with 5 keV of kinetic energy and start on the x-axis, with the paths of the two particles at a right angle. The question asks for the magnitude and direction of the total force on each particle, and the attempt at a solution involves using conservation of energy and the electric force formula. However, the significance of the given kinetic energy is unclear.
NotADuckFan

Homework Statement

One of the three types of radioactive decay is "β decay", during which protons decay into neutrons or viceversa, emitting either electrons (β) or positrons (β+) at high velocity as a result. In one experiment, a β source and β+ source are placed 10 cm apart from each other. At a certain time, both sources decay simultaneously, with the electron being emitted along the xaxis and the positron being emitted along the yaxis (i.e. the paths of the two particles are at a right angle). Both particles are emitted with 5 keV(kiloelectron volts) of kinetic energy and start on the xaxis. What is magnitude and direction of the total force on each particle? (Do not ignore electric force, assume electrons and positrons have the same mass.)

Homework Equations

ΔE=Ui+Uf=−∫F.dr=>F=−∇E

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve this using conservation of energy. Initially, we have both kinetic and potential energy. Kinetic energy is given to us and we can find electric potential energy. I'm assuming the total final energy (kinetic + potential) is zero since Vf = 0 and Uf = 0 (since distance between the two particles gets "infinitely" long). I then tried to use the equation

ΔE=Ui+Uf=−∫F.dr=>F=−∇E

But I'm not sure how this would help. I feel like I'm missing something. The fact that the question states "don't ignore electric force" makes me think I have to use it, but then if I'm using the electric force formula what's the point of having the initial energy? Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello NaDF, welcome to PF :smile:

I have a hard time imagining what is described here. Are these e+ and e- shot off away from each other, or towards each other ?

And why do you think the final energy would be zero ? There's 10 keV of energy and energy can be converted into other forms, but it doesn't just go away.

(There's also 1020 keV/c2 of rest mass -- a big POOF o0) if the two happen to meet) .

BvU said:
Hello NaDF, welcome to PF :smile:

I have a hard time imagining what is described here. Are these e+ and e- shot off away from each other, or towards each other ?

And why do you think the final energy would be zero ? There's 10 keV of energy and energy can be converted into other forms, but it doesn't just go away.

(There's also 1020 keV/c2 of rest mass -- a big POOF o0) if the two happen to meet) .

The charges are moving away from each other. This is all the question states, there aren't any other information given. But apparently it's supposed to be a fairly straightforward calculation...

WEll, I didn't pick that up from the wording :smile:

So you have two opposite charges, 10 cm apart. What's to stop you from calculating the electric force between them ?

BvU said:
WEll, I didn't pick that up from the wording :smile:

So you have two opposite charges, 10 cm apart. What's to stop you from calculating the electric force between them ?

Nothing is stopping me from calculating the electric force, I'm just not sure why the kinetic energy is given. This chapter is about potential and potential energy so I have to use those somehow... o_O

I see what you mean. You feel some obligation towards the sadist that thought up these exercises, eh :wink:

So why the blabla about e+ and e- and not, for example two pea shooters instead of these scary radioactive sources ?
What would be the force on each of the peas given they have a kinetic energy of 16 GeV each ? ( approx 0.1 gram at 5 m/s :smile: )

1. What is the relationship between electric energy and force?

The relationship between electric energy and force is that electric energy is the potential energy associated with an electric field, while force is the effect of that electric field on a charged particle. In other words, the electric field creates a force on a charged particle, and that force is related to the electric energy of the system.

2. How is electric energy converted into force?

Electric energy is converted into force through the interaction between charged particles. When an electric field is present, it exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to move. This movement is the conversion of electric energy into force. The magnitude of the force is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field and the charge of the particle.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric energy and force?

The unit of measurement for electric energy is the joule (J), while the unit of measurement for force is the newton (N). The relationship between these two units is that 1 joule is equal to 1 newton-meter (N*m).

4. How does the distance between charged particles affect the relationship between electric energy and force?

The distance between charged particles has a direct effect on the relationship between electric energy and force. As the distance between charged particles decreases, the electric field becomes stronger, resulting in a stronger force between the particles. On the other hand, as the distance between charged particles increases, the electric field weakens, resulting in a weaker force between the particles.

5. Can electric energy and force exist without each other?

No, electric energy and force are interdependent and cannot exist without each other. Electric energy is the source of the electric field, which creates the force on charged particles. Without an electric field, there would be no force acting on the particles. Similarly, without charged particles, there would be no electric field and therefore no electric energy or force.