1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between frequency and tension on a string

1. Sep 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the experiment, a mass was attached to the string. Increasing mass was added, and the fundamental frequency for each mass was determined. I am trying to create a graph from the data, but I am finding that I am getting a linear graph between f1 (fundamental frequency) and m (mass added). The goal is to use the graph to find out the exponent so I can calculate the tension in the string, etc. It was hinted that it would be a power relationship. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Relevant equations
    V= f * wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a linear graph that has a very very high R^2 value, but the logarithmic regression line that fits, but not as well as the linear graph. Is it possible that the fundamental frequency I recorded was actually a subharmonic? I have tried graphing it as frequency (hz) vs mass (g) and frequency (hz) vs mass (kg), with frequency as the y-axis and the mass as the x-axis. Thanks for any assistance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2011 #2

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?