Frequency of Wave on a Guitar String HW

In summary, the new frequency of the guitar string is fnew = f(1+ (delta T)/2T) where delta T is the small change in tension.
slw12

Homework Statement

When a guitar string is stretched to have a tension T, it produces a frequency f. You change the tension by a very small amount ∆T . Show that the new frequency of the guitar string is

fnew = f ( 1 + (delta T)/2T)

For example, a guitar string has tension T = 10N and produces f = 1000Hz. If you changed the tension by ∆T = 0.01N, what would the new frequency be? Hint: You need calculus for this. Find an expression for f in terms of T. Then take the derivative of f with respect to T.

Homework Equations

fnew = f ( 1 + (delta T)/2T)

(wavelength)(frequency) = √T/μ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried taking the derivative of f =(1/wavelength)(√T/μ), but I can't seem to get back to the equation the question acts me to get back to. What am I doing wrong? [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi slw12,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you show us the details of what you've tried? (PF rules). Hint: you may want to use an expression for T in terms of the original frequency f as a substitution along the way.

slw12 said:
I have tried taking the derivative
So what did you get?

The other equation you need is the standard one relating a derivative to the consequences of small changes in the independent variable (Δf, f, Δx, f'.)

I have taken the derivative of the 2nd equation above and I got df/dt = (1/(λ*√μ)(1/√T). But I don't know how to get ΔT into the equation

slw12 said:
df/dt = (1/(λ*√μ)(1/√T).
Not quite right. What is the derivative of xn wrt x?
slw12 said:
how to get ΔT into the equation
Did my hint not help? f(x+Δx)≈ f(x)+ ...?

haruspex said:
Not quite right. What is the derivative of xn wrt x?

Did my hint not help? f(x+Δx)≈ f(x)+ ...?

Would it be f(x +Δx) = f(x) + Δy?
If that's right, how would I get ΔT/2T as Δy?

slw12 said:
Would it be f(x +Δx) = f(x) + Δy?
You are not familiar with Taylor's expansion?
f(x +Δx) = f(x) + Δxf'(x)+ ...
Look it up.

1. What is the frequency of a wave on a guitar string?

The frequency of a wave on a guitar string depends on several factors, such as the tension and length of the string, as well as the mass per unit length of the string. However, on a standard guitar, the frequency of the sixth (lowest) string is typically around 82.41 Hz, while the frequency of the first (highest) string is around 329.63 Hz.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of a wave on a guitar string?

The frequency of a wave on a guitar string can be calculated using the formula f = (1/2L) * √(T/μ), where f is the frequency, L is the length of the string, T is the tension in the string, and μ is the mass per unit length of the string. This formula takes into account the physical properties of the string, such as its tension and mass, to determine the frequency.

3. Why does the frequency of a guitar string change when it is tuned?

When a guitar string is tuned, the tension in the string is adjusted, either by tightening or loosening the string. This change in tension affects the frequency of the wave produced by the string, causing it to vibrate at a different frequency and produce a different pitch.

4. How does the frequency of a guitar string affect the sound it produces?

The frequency of a guitar string directly corresponds to the pitch of the sound it produces. A higher frequency (shorter wavelength) produces a higher pitch, while a lower frequency (longer wavelength) produces a lower pitch. This is why different strings on a guitar produce different notes when played.

5. Can the frequency of a guitar string be changed without changing its length or tension?

Yes, the frequency of a guitar string can also be changed by altering the mass per unit length of the string. This can be done by using a different type of string, such as a thicker or thinner gauge, or by adding or removing weight on the string (such as using a capo). However, the most common way to change the frequency of a guitar string is by adjusting its tension through tuning.