Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relationship between manifolds and random variables

1. Oct 24, 2009 #1

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I am studying calculus and statistics currently, and a possible relationship between them just occurred to me. I was thinking about two things: (i) is a differentiable function from R to R a manifold, and (ii) in what way is a random event really unpredictable? So I don't know much about either one, but manifolds and random variables seem to be related by their local vs. global or short-term vs. long-term behavior. I don't know how closely complexity and randomness are related, but assume that they are closely related (or perhaps recast this in terms of information-content and description-length). It seems interesting to me that a manifold can be relatively complex/random globally/long-term but relatively simple/predictable locally/short-term, and the value of a random variable can be complex/random locally/short-term but simple/predictable globally/long-term. They seem to be duals or opposites. If you just look closely enough or long enough, they both get simple and predictable and more efficiently describable.

No? Comments? Is that a bad way to look at things?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2009 #2
    It's possible you're mixing up manifolds with dynamical systems on manifolds, and random variables with stochastic processes. A more concrete link between manifolds (as topological spaces) and random variables is through integration rather than differentiation - using measure theory we can describe random events, discrete and continuous random variables and stochastic processes in a unified way.

A dynamical system can be viewed as a stochastic process where the state at a given time is conditional on certain unkown prior states - hence their behavior would be related. Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook