Relationship between phonon and plasmon

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on the parabolic trough and the use of different metal sheets to observe differences in temperature change. The role of microwaves from the sun and plasmon in reflecting these microwaves at the metal surface is also mentioned. The relationship between phonon and plasmon and its potential impact on thermal conductivity and temperature change is also brought up. The expert advises considering the reflectivity of the metals in the relevant frequency range and the surface finishing for maximizing reflectivity. The use of reflectivity of metals as an independent variable and temperature change in water as a dependent variable is suggested for the experiment. The potential role of thermal conductivity in temperature change is also discussed.
Shunx
I am conducting an experiment on the parabolic trough that concentrates the solar light and heats up water. I am using different metal sheets (zinc, aluminium, copper, tin...) for the parabolic trough to see the differences in temperature change.

I researched on a few things and I understand that it's the microwaves from the sun that's responsible for the water heating up. Then I came across with plasmon that is responsible for reflecting microwaves at the metal surface. Correct me if I'm wrong...

And now, I was thinking, how about thermal conductivity? I found out about phonon; is there any relationship between phonon and plasmon? and ultimately, is there relationship between the thermal conductivity and the temperature change in the water (in my experiment)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Shunx said:
I researched on a few things and I understand that it's the microwaves from the sun that's responsible for the water heating up.

No. The power emitted by the sun in the microwave region is negligible as compared to the power in the optical and IR region. So you should care about the reflectivity of the metals in this frequency range. For most metals, reflectivity measurements as a function of frequency should be available, so you don't have to care about microscopic mechanisms. Much more important for maximizing reflectivity is the finishing of the surface.

Thank you very much DrDu!

I would like to clarify this thing out, since I am doing this as my Extended Essay actually; would reflectivity of metals as independent variable and the temperature change in water as dependent variable be alright, you think?

I was hoping thermal conductivity has to do something with the temperature rise in water, so I'm kind of screwed right now :D

1. What is a phonon?

A phonon is a collective vibrational mode of atoms or molecules in a solid material. It is considered as a quantized lattice vibration and can be thought of as a packet of vibrational energy.

2. What is a plasmon?

A plasmon is a quantized collective oscillation of electrons in a solid or liquid material. It is considered as a quasiparticle and arises due to the interaction between electrons and photons.

3. How are phonons and plasmons related?

Phonons and plasmons are both types of collective excitations in materials, but they differ in the nature of the particles involved. Phonons involve vibrations of atoms, while plasmons involve oscillations of free electrons. However, they both interact with each other and can transfer energy between each other.

4. How do phonons and plasmons affect the properties of materials?

Phonons and plasmons play important roles in determining the thermal, optical, and electrical properties of materials. The presence of phonons can affect the thermal conductivity and acoustic properties of a material, while plasmons can affect its optical properties and electrical conductivity.

5. Can phonons and plasmons be manipulated for practical applications?

Yes, the ability to control and manipulate phonons and plasmons has led to various practical applications in fields such as optoelectronics, thermoelectrics, and data storage. For example, phonon engineering has been used to improve the efficiency of thermoelectric materials, while plasmonic materials are being studied for use in next-generation data storage devices.