Thermal penetration depth experiment

In summary, you can insert the copper wire into the water as spread out as will fit in the container. This allows maximum water circulation in contact with the wires. The wire ends that are fan cooled should be spread out to fill the air stream from the fan. You might try with the fan blowing into the bundle of wires from the end, rather than across the bundle; in the ideal case,that should yield the greatest heat transfer.
Tylercc
I doing an experiment that involves thermal penetration of copper. Please advise me where to post if I choose the wrong spot. This experiment is being done with what I have on hand and my ability to work the materials.
Materials
2.75 gal pot of water
6qt pressure cooker
100+lb of stripped copper wire that is .81''(2.05mm) in diameter
1 120 volt ac fan
specs
4.5 diameter
Airflow: 110 CFM
2600RPM
stove with 1250 watt burners

Ability to work materials
I can not recirculate the water
I can not melt the copper wire into a shape
I can tightly or loosely bundle the wire together
I can vary the amount heat introduced into the pressure cooker

I have a pot of water(2.75gal) that is being heated by steam at a rate of 25 degrees every 15 minutes at "high". The water starts out at 73 degrees F. I would like to cool this water using a bundle of copper wire and a fan on top(pic 1). I am not concerned about how fast I cool the water, but I would like to see the water stay as cool as possible for as long as possible.(EX: 100 degrees F for two hours) So my question is regarding the bundle of wire, Should I make it as tight as possible, as loose as possible, or tight layers with space in-between the layers?(pic2) Also would there be any benefit to making the bundle bigger than the fan?
I have found these two websites but I honestly don't know how to use the equation or if the number in the second webpage is what I need.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/engineering/thermal-penetration-depth
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Tables/thrcn.html
IMG_4105.JPG
IMG_4106.JPG

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You may have seen heatsinks being used in some electronic devices. They are metal shapes in contact with whatever is being cooled. They also have fins on them to present a large surface area to the air. The air flowing around the fins carries off the heat.

Those heatsinks used in electronic devices have a flat surface in contact with the device to be cooled. Flat because the devices themselves are flat, yielding maximum contact area.

With that said, your best bet is insert the wire into the water as spread out as will fit in the container. This allows maximum water circulation in contact with the wires.

The wire ends that are fan cooled should be spread out to fill the air stream from the fan. You might try with the fan blowing into the bundle of wires from the end, rather than across the bundle; in the ideal case,that should yield the greatest heat transfer. I realize your situation may not allow this air direction, next best is the most air movement you can get.

The desired result is to have maximum wire (heatsink) surface area exposed to where you want the heat transfer to occur.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes 256bits and Lnewqban
cool thanks I am off to make the oddest looking heat sink.

• Love
Likes Tom.G

1. What is a thermal penetration depth experiment?

A thermal penetration depth experiment is a scientific method used to measure the depth at which heat can penetrate a material. It involves applying heat to one side of a material and measuring the temperature change on the other side, in order to determine how far the heat has penetrated.

2. Why is thermal penetration depth important?

Thermal penetration depth is important because it allows us to understand how heat is transferred through different materials. This information is crucial in fields such as materials science, engineering, and thermodynamics, where the ability to control heat transfer is essential.

3. What factors affect thermal penetration depth?

The factors that affect thermal penetration depth include the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the two sides of the material, the thickness of the material, and the duration of the heat application. Other factors such as the material's density and specific heat capacity may also play a role.

4. How is a thermal penetration depth experiment performed?

In a thermal penetration depth experiment, a heat source is applied to one side of the material, while a temperature sensor is placed on the other side. The temperature change over time is recorded, and the data is used to calculate the thermal penetration depth using mathematical equations.

5. What are the applications of thermal penetration depth experiments?

Thermal penetration depth experiments have various applications, including the development and testing of insulation materials, understanding heat transfer in buildings and other structures, and studying the thermal properties of different materials for industrial and scientific purposes.