Calculation of temperature changes (heating a cube in a microwave oven)

salazar7
Hello guys,

I am currently running an experiment in my hobby room: I want to heat a cube in a microwave and then measure the surface temperature. Unfortunately, it takes about 20 seconds, so the cube cools down during this time which means I don't measure the actual temperature after heating but the temperature after 20 seconds of cooling.

So let's say the cube has the initial temperature T_0. Now it is heated in the microwave for t_h seconds and now has the temperature T_1. After cooling for t_c seconds, the temperature is measured and is now T_2.

Is it now somehow possible to calculate T_1 using formulas by multiplying here, dividing there, etc.? Perhaps your experience can help me a little. Thank you very much! It doesn't have to be 100% correct at all, so feel free to use assumptions to simplifyPS: I have the following additional data available
Length of the cube (L), specific heat capacity (c_p), thermal conductivity (k), density (R), microwave data: power (P), frequency (f), ambient temperature (T_a).

Science news on Phys.org
Do you have any idea how to do this?

My very first thought was this:

Assumption: surface temperature presents the average temperature of the whole cube (so the cube is really small/thin)

First, you could calculate the heat absorbed during heating

Q_h = m * c_p * (T_1 - T_0)

Then the cooling

Q_c = m * c_p * (T_2 - T_1)

We could assume that Q_h = Q_c (if this is a realistic assumption)

=> m * c_p * (T_1 - T_0) = m * c_p * (T_2 - T_1) <=> T_1 = (T_2 + T_0) / 2

This somehow doesnt make sense, because we know that T_1 > T_2 (and T_2 > T_0). Let's assume that T_2 = 50°C and T_0 = 20°C. So I get T_1 = 35°C.

Last edited:
If there is convective heat loss to the air in the microwave during the heating (and cooling), then the temperature variation with time will not be a straight line.

Let ##\Delta T_H(t)## be the time variation of the surface temperature during an experiment in which the heating is applied. Let ##\tau## be the time at which the microwave is switched off. Since the differential and algebraic equations describing the temperature variation within the system are linear in temperature, the temperature during the cooling period (##t>\tau##) can be expressed as a linear superposition: $$\Delta T(t)=\Delta T_H(t)-\Delta T_H(t-\tau)$$

So, for ##t<\tau##, $$\Delta T(t)=\Delta T_H(t)$$ and, for ##t>\tau##, $$\Delta T(t)=\Delta T_H(t)-\Delta T_H(t-\tau)$$

Last edited:
thank you very much for your efforts. but unfortunately i'm a bit stumped because i don't know how to implement/apply this. I don't know if this is important to know, but I only have discrete values. So I only know the surface temperature at the time before heating and 20 seconds after heating

What is the cube made of, how big is it and how are you measuring its surface temperature? Do you have access to an infrared thermometer? That would take about 1 sec after the microwave shuts off.

You can measure the rate of temperature change by measuring the temperature twice and linearly extrapolating backwards. Maybe you'll find the rate is low so this doesn't matter. When the microwave is on you're probably zapping it with 100x more power than rate of loss after it is shut off.

Likes berkeman
russ_watters said:
Do you have access to an infrared thermometer?
That was my first thought as well. I use one in the lab pretty often for all kinds of thermal measurements...

1705685369352.png

https://www.digikey.com/en/products...xnZe5NryTfS5sARzWHqTPeXYGgFIV8TEaAgPDEALw_wcB

Likes russ_watters
What are the values of L, thermal conductivity, heat capacity, density, heating time?

thanks for all the advices :)

@Chestermiller I'm currently not at home so i dont know the exact data but maybe we could first work with imaginary values (if thats possible) and when i get home ill try to apply the procedure to the real data:

L = 0,1m
k = 0,5 W/m*K
c_p = 1000 J/kg*K
R = 2000 kg/m^3
t_h = 50 sT_0 = 288,15 K (15°C)
t_c = 100 s
T_2 = 343,15 K (50°C)
P = 1000 Watt
f = 2,45 GHz
T_a = 293,15 K (20°C)

salazar7 said:
thanks for all the advices :)

@Chestermiller I'm currently not at home so i dont know the exact data but maybe we could first work with imaginary values (if thats possible) and when i get home ill try to apply the procedure to the real data:

L = 0,1m
k = 0,5 W/m*K
c_p = 1000 J/kg*K
R = 2000 kg/m^3
t_h = 50 sT_0 = 288,15 K (15°C)
t_c = 100 s
T_2 = 343,15 K (50°C)
P = 1000 Watt
f = 2,45 GHz
T_a = 293,15 K (20°C)
I'll wait to wee the real data. That's what I needed.

1. How does a microwave oven heat up a cube?

A microwave oven heats up a cube by emitting electromagnetic radiation in the form of microwaves. These microwaves cause water molecules within the cube to vibrate rapidly, generating heat through friction.

2. How can I calculate the temperature changes in a cube when heated in a microwave oven?

You can calculate the temperature changes in a cube by using the specific heat capacity of the material of the cube, the initial temperature of the cube, the power of the microwave oven, and the time the cube is heated for. This calculation can be done using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the cube, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

3. What factors can affect the temperature changes in a cube when heated in a microwave oven?

Factors that can affect the temperature changes in a cube when heated in a microwave oven include the specific heat capacity of the material of the cube, the initial temperature of the cube, the power of the microwave oven, the size and shape of the cube, and the duration for which the cube is heated.

4. How do I ensure even heating of a cube in a microwave oven?

To ensure even heating of a cube in a microwave oven, it is important to rotate the cube periodically during the heating process. This helps to distribute the heat evenly throughout the cube and prevent hot spots from forming.

5. Is it safe to heat a cube in a microwave oven?

Heating a cube in a microwave oven is generally safe as long as the cube is made of microwave-safe material and is not sealed or airtight. It is important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and recommendations for using microwave ovens to ensure safety.