The free energy is minimized by minimizing the surface area. For positive interfacial energy, that corresponds to a sphere (in the absence of gravity). For negative interfacial energy, that corresponds to mixing- *maximizing* the intrfacial area.
The atomic origins of interfacial energy are murky, to put it mildly. One need not discuss atoms to discuss dividing surfaces.
We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving