Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface tension vs Average Bond Strength

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    If you increase the surface tension of a liquid, does it change the average bond strength of the liquid?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. By very much? Depends on surface to volume ratio: for rain drops, bulk liquids, the effect isn't significant; for fine mists it is.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    Thank you for replying on my posts. I was trying to find out how to change the strength of hydrogen bonds in water for my lab report, and since you mentioned surface tensions of aqueous solutions, I researched which solutions could change surface tension. Based from a quick search, there were alot of solutes that could be added to water to change its surface tension, but doesn't necessarily cause hydrogen bond formation on the new mixture. How do I execute my research further?

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Further? You can look at hydrogen bonding in other liquids (alcohols, organic acids, whatever). Three (?) center bonding in boranes. Lewis acids and bases (not necessarily hydrogen bonding, but another very similar effect).

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5
    it seems like acidic solutions strengthen hydrogen bonds while basic solutions weaken hydrogen bonds. for example, ammonia, a basic solution, has a very weak hydrogen bond while hydrogen fluoride, an acid, has a very strong bond. is this what you mean about lewis acids and bases?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook