What has a shape but no volume?

In summary: In 3D a 1D object can't hold water. It will leak out into the second horizontal dimension.True, but the point is that in higher dimensions, objects can have volumes.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
what the title says.
I was reading a Chemistry book when I read about the three states of matter. Everyone knows what they are, but I didn't know the simplest way to describe each of the three until I read this book. It said that a solid has a shape and a volume, a liquid has no shape but has a volume, and a gas has no shape or volume. How about something that has a shape but has no volume? It couldn't be plasma, since it doesn't have a shape.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I guess it means "not fixed" instead of "no", etc. (But even that's not really true - have you ever made pizza?).

A non-rigorous definition
in a container
A solid has a constant shape and volume
A liquid has the shape of the bottom of the container and a constant volume
A gas has the shape of the container and the volume of the container
If you look at the ordering, you need to have a constant volume before having a constant shape.

Last edited:
MevsEinstein said:
What has a shape but no volume?
A Klein bottle :smile:

• Love
  • Informative
Likes sysprog, robphy, DaveC426913 and 2 others
phinds said:
A Klein bottle :smile:
mine does :-p
76617F7C-A29D-4622-A2C9-87E9C00B70F2.jpeg

Likes Hamiltonian and PeroK
caz said:
mine does :-p
Does what? It can't have a volume because it has no inside.

Likes BillTre
phinds said:
Does what? It can't have a volume because it has no inside.
Really? I can fill it water.

In case you want to get your own. It’s the best physics thing my parents ever got me.
https://www.kleinbottle.com/
It is also a very amusing website.

”At last, Acme Klein Bottle has conquered topological and engineering frontiers to manufacture genuine glass Klein bottles. These are the finest closed, non-orientable, boundary-free manifolds sold anywhere in our three spatial dimensions.”

Likes Hamiltonian
caz said:
Yes, you can put some water on part of the outside. That doesn't mean it has a volume.

Likes sysprog
phinds said:
Yes, you can put some water on part of the outside. That doesn't mean it has a volume.
If I place it in a bowl of water, the level rises; however, Acme does advertise it as volume and magnetic monopole free.

caz said:
Volume is a sloppy idea in everyday speech for open surfaces. We would all agree that a measuring cup has some volume, but what about a watch glass? What about an upside down watch glass?

57867WATCHGLASS.JPG-250.jpg

How flat does a surface have to be to have no volume? Wouldn't you also have to specify other things like how it's filled, how it's oriented, what the boundaries are?

Likes dextercioby and Frabjous
DaveE said:
Volume is a sloppy idea in everyday speech for open surfaces. We would all agree that a measuring cup has some volume, but what about a watch glass? What about an upside down watch glass?

View attachment 298040

How flat does a surface have to be to have no volume? Wouldn't you also have to specify other things like how it's filled, how it's oriented, what the boundaries are?
I was being flippant. You did raise some interesting questions about open surfaces. Here’s a picture from their website with volume calibration marks. They clearly anticipated your and @phinds concerns.

1646593361595.jpeg

Check out the numerical values.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes chemisttree, sysprog, Steve4Physics and 7 others
DaveE said:
Volume is a sloppy idea in everyday speech for open surfaces.
Indeed.

In everyday English I suppose you can say it has a volume but mathematically (i.e. topologically) it is identical to a Mobius strip --- it's a one-sided construct. You can get from any point on the surface to any other point on the surface without ever crossing an edge. Even a flat sheet of paper can't do that.

What has a shape but no volume?​

A shadow!

• Informative
Likes chemisttree, sysprog, Hornbein and 2 others
Menger sponge.

Likes bob012345
Tom.G said:
A shadow!
Anything 2D really.

Likes pinball1970 and bob012345
I agree. Specifically I would say any 2D surface in 3D or higher space has shape but no volume. It may enclose a volume of space, such as an infinitely thin spherical shell, or not such as the Möbius strip or Klein bottle but it has no volume itself.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
I agree. Specifically I would say any 2D surface in 3D or higher space has shape but no volume. It may enclose a volume of space, such as an infinitely thin spherical shell, or not such as the Möbius strip or Klein bottle but it has no volume itself.
In 3D a 1D object can't hold water. It will leak out into the second horizontal dimension.

A 2D object embedded in 4D can't hold water. It would leak out into the third horizontal dimension.

So in 4D a Klein "bottle" couldn't hold water. Models of the surface in 3D can hold water because the third horizontal dimension doesn't exist in 3D.

"It's only a model." -- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Last edited:
Anything of 2 dimensions?

valenumr said:
Anything of 2 dimensions?
Right. It will fail to hold water everywhere no matter what you do. You could gin up some highly convoluted object to simulate 3D but that's cheating.

Hornbein said:
Right. It will fail to hold water everywhere no matter what you do. You could gin up some highly convoluted object to simulate 3D but that's cheating.
It's still an interesting question in a sense. The closest thing I can think is something like a sheet of graphene, but it still necissarily has volume (think mass density as a concept). But physically, I guess one would have to talk about point particles like an electron to ponder the question.

valenumr said:
It's still an interesting question in a sense. The closest thing I can think is something like a sheet of graphene, but it still necissarily has volume (think mass density as a concept). But physically, I guess one would have to talk about point particles like an electron to ponder the question.

In our world, in order for an object to exist it has to have 3 dimensions greater than zero. When I say 2D this means that one of the dimensions is insignificant.

In the 4D world then a 2D object has two dimensions are insignificant. There can be only one vertical dimension so that means a 2D object has a horizontal dimension that is insignificant. A liquid would then flow out in this dimension/direction. Either that or the object can hold only an insignificant amount of liquid.

But it is neater to imagine an ideal 2D object that magically is impermeable to fluids than to continually have to hedge with these messy qualifying statements.

---

In 4D tortillas have to be 3D. Who wants a tortilla that can support only insignificant toppings? The natural shape would be a 3D ball (solid sphere). It's flat in the 4th dimension.

Last edited:
MevsEinstein said:
I was reading a Chemistry book when I read about the three states of matter. Everyone knows what they are, but I didn't know the simplest way to describe each of the three until I read this book. It said that a solid has a shape and a volume, a liquid has no shape but has a volume, and a gas has no shape or volume. How about something that has a shape but has no volume? It couldn't be plasma, since it doesn't have a shape.
I think that that is a terrible way to describe the three states, in the UK we like to stick to the facts: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z93jfcw/revision/1

But I think you are misquoting: I expect that the book talks about fixed or specific shapes and volumes and in particular says a gas has no specific shape or fixed volume.

There are no solids, liquids or gasses, only fields. :)

What has a shape but no volume?​

Taken as an isolated general question, then if shape is considered to be surface area one could argue that an object with a fractal dimension between 2 and 3 would have shape but no volume.

Likes Klystron
What has shape and no volume? This is an interesting question in pure mathematics (not the place for it), but in chemistry we can say that a gas has no fixed volume, but has the volume of the enclosure fully surrounding it, while a liquid of the enclosure supporting it against gravity.

dextercioby said:
What has shape and no volume? This is an interesting question in pure mathematics (not the place for it), but in chemistry we can say that a gas has no fixed volume, but has the volume of the enclosure fully surrounding it, while a liquid of the enclosure supporting it against gravity.
This appears to be true on some scales but not all. The atmosphere around the Earth acts more like the liquid example you give. It is not fully contained yet has a finite volume while a liquid drop may be contained by surface tension and not fill a small enough container. These behaviours are scale dependent.

Last edited:
bob012345 said:
This appears to be true on some scales but not all. The atmosphere around the Earth acts more like the liquid example you give. It is not fully contained yet has a finite volume while a liquid drop may be contained by surface tension and not fill a small enough container. These behaviours are scale dependent.
I was thinking about the same (atmosphere). It is I'll defined. My favorite part is how it drives flat-earthers nuts though.

Why would you say the atmosphere has a finite volume? What is it?

pbuk said:
I think that that is a terrible way to describe the three states, in the UK we like to stick to the facts: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/z93jfcw/revision/1

But I think you are misquoting: I expect that the book talks about fixed or specific shapes and volumes and in particular says a gas has no specific shape or fixed volume.
Apparently glasses and plastics aren't solid in the UK...

jbriggs444 said:
I suggested a fractal volume in #25, but that suggestion must have fallen through the cracks ...

Likes jbriggs444
caz said:
a bit more specifically (from kleinbottle.com):

A Klein Bottle, although it is a closed surface with no edge, does not enclose any volume. Ignoring the thickness of the walls, my glass Klein Bottles have zero volume because they do not divide the universe into an inside and an outside. They have no boundary.​

sysprog said:
...because they do not divide the universe into an inside and an outside. They have no boundary.
I find this all a bit silly. There are other ways to assemble objects together and say this. A Klein jar intersects itself. Big deal. The boundary may be blurred, but I cannot buy that there is no boundary. Maybe the definition of 'edge' needs to be revisited.

Averagesupernova said:
I find this all a bit silly. There are other ways to assemble objects together and say this. A Klein jar intersects itself. Big deal. The boundary may be blurred, but I cannot buy that there is no boundary. Maybe the definition of 'edge' needs to be revisited.
You seem to me to be perhaps hastily overly dismissive of the special characterics of the Klein bottle ##-## do you think that we can reconstruct all of topology to make it no longer special? ##-## wouldn't that be a big job?

From nsf.gov:
1651984315550.png
A two-dimensional representation of a Klein bottle--a shape with no inside or outside, just one continuous surface. A true Klein bottle needs at least four dimensions; in other words, it can't be blown from glass. Two- and three-dimensional representations like this one exist to help us visualize the topology, but they are not completely faithful to the original shape. The surface cannot be built in two- or three-dimensional space without self-intersection, as shown here with the "handle" passing through the side of the surface.​

<h2>1. What is an example of something that has a shape but no volume?</h2><p>An example of something that has a shape but no volume is a line. A line is defined as having length and direction, but no width or thickness, making it a 2-dimensional shape with zero volume.</p><h2>2. Can a 3-dimensional object have no volume?</h2><p>No, a 3-dimensional object cannot have no volume. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies in 3-dimensional space. Therefore, all 3-dimensional objects have volume.</p><h2>3. Is it possible for something to have volume but no shape?</h2><p>Yes, it is possible for something to have volume but no shape. An example of this is a gas, which has volume but takes on the shape of its container.</p><h2>4. Why is it important to understand the concept of something having a shape but no volume?</h2><p>Understanding the concept of something having a shape but no volume is important in fields such as geometry and physics. It allows for a better understanding of 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes, as well as the behavior of gases and other substances with no definite shape.</p><h2>5. How is the concept of something having a shape but no volume relevant in everyday life?</h2><p>The concept of something having a shape but no volume is relevant in everyday life in many ways. For example, it helps us understand the properties of flat objects like paper and screens, as well as the behavior of gases in our atmosphere. It also plays a role in fields such as architecture and design, where understanding 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes is essential.</p>

1. What is an example of something that has a shape but no volume?

An example of something that has a shape but no volume is a line. A line is defined as having length and direction, but no width or thickness, making it a 2-dimensional shape with zero volume.

2. Can a 3-dimensional object have no volume?

No, a 3-dimensional object cannot have no volume. Volume is a measure of the amount of space an object occupies in 3-dimensional space. Therefore, all 3-dimensional objects have volume.

3. Is it possible for something to have volume but no shape?

Yes, it is possible for something to have volume but no shape. An example of this is a gas, which has volume but takes on the shape of its container.

4. Why is it important to understand the concept of something having a shape but no volume?

Understanding the concept of something having a shape but no volume is important in fields such as geometry and physics. It allows for a better understanding of 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes, as well as the behavior of gases and other substances with no definite shape.

5. How is the concept of something having a shape but no volume relevant in everyday life?

The concept of something having a shape but no volume is relevant in everyday life in many ways. For example, it helps us understand the properties of flat objects like paper and screens, as well as the behavior of gases in our atmosphere. It also plays a role in fields such as architecture and design, where understanding 2-dimensional and 3-dimensional shapes is essential.