Relative error definition of entropy

In summary, the class discussed the additivity property of entropy for systems in thermal contact, which relies on computing the entropy of the most probable state instead of the full expression. This approximation leads to a small error as long as the systems contain a large number of particles. For a specific example of spins with a large system containing N/2 particles and a small system containing 10 particles, the relative error in the definition of entropy was found to be small. This raises the question of whether it is still a good idea to use this definition of entropy when the number of particles in one system is much larger than the other.
kraigandrews

Homework Statement

Problem-5: In the class we saw that property of additivity of the entropy for systems in thermalcontact relies on the approximation that we compute entropy of the most probable state ln(g1g2)maxinstead of full ln g(N,U) = ln(P,U1)
g(N1,U1)g(N2,U −U1)). The error made turns out to be really
small provided that each systems contains large number of particles. For the example of spins with
N1 = N2 = N/2 >> 1 we found
ln g(N, s) = ln(g1g2)max +1/2ln(N/8).
(4)
Consider now a special case when one system is large having N1 = 10E22 spins but the other is relatively
small with only N2 = 10 spins. Take s = 0 and compute the relative error in the definition
of entropy. Is it still a good idea to use such definition of entropy when N1 >> N2? [1 pt]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I honestly haven't a clue where to start I am just looking for type of guidance. My first idea would be to find g1 and g2 then from there I am totally lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know that g(N,U) = ln(P,U1) g(N1,U1)g(N2,U −U1)). But I don't know how to use it or really what it means.

1. What is the definition of relative error in the context of entropy?

The relative error definition of entropy is a measure of the difference between the actual value of entropy and the estimated or predicted value. It is calculated by taking the absolute difference between the two values and dividing it by the actual value of entropy.

2. How is relative error related to the concept of uncertainty in entropy calculations?

Relative error is directly related to uncertainty in entropy calculations, as it represents the degree of accuracy or precision in the estimated value of entropy. A higher relative error indicates a greater level of uncertainty in the calculated value of entropy.

3. Can relative error be negative in entropy calculations?

Yes, relative error can be negative in entropy calculations. This indicates that the estimated value of entropy is lower than the actual value, and can be caused by factors such as experimental errors or inaccuracies in the model used for prediction.

4. How does the magnitude of relative error affect the significance of entropy calculations?

The magnitude of relative error can significantly impact the significance of entropy calculations. A smaller relative error indicates a higher level of precision and accuracy in the calculated value of entropy, while a larger relative error may suggest a less reliable result.

5. Are there any limitations to using relative error in entropy calculations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using relative error in entropy calculations. It is important to consider the context and purpose of the calculation, as well as the potential sources of error, in order to properly interpret and utilize the relative error value.