Relative Humidity and Temperature Changes when adding Heat

In summary, the question asks for the amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of 3.5 m3/s of moist air from 10°C to 17°C, as well as the relative humidity and power required for this process. The use of a psychrometric chart is recommended for solving this problem.
john ryan
New poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
Can anyone help me with this?

-How much heat must be added to 3.5 m3 /s of moist air with a dry bulb temperature of 10°C and a relative humidity of 60% to raise the temperature of the air by 17°C?

• What will be the relative humidity of the air once this heat is added?

• What is the power required in the heating unit?
Relevant Equations
LIT
Can anyone help me with this?

-How much heat must be added to 3.5 m3 /s of moist air with a dry bulb temperature of 10°C and a relative humidity of 60% to raise the temperature of the air by 17°C?

• What will be the relative humidity of the air once this heat is added?

• What is the power required in the heating unit?

Physics news on Phys.org
As stated in the forum rules, you must show some effort on the problem before we can help. What have you learned about heat capacity and how would you approach the problem? Also, note that the 3rd question cannot be answered unless there is some mention of how much time is allowed to raise the temperature.

Likes russ_watters
This looks like HVAC/mechanical engineering homework to me. Have you learned how to use a psychrometric chart?

Last edited:
Once the temperature is up, steady power influx is needed to balance thermal losses to the environment. Not sure that's what they want though : there's no context given.

russ_watters said:
This looks like HVAC/mechanical engineering homework to me. Have you learned how to use a psychometric chart?
That's presumably a psychrometric chart?

mjc123 said:
That's presumably a psychrometric chart?
Typo, yep, fixed.

As others have said, you need a psychrometric chart (or e.g. a p_V diagram) for water.

I would interpret part 1 as 3.5m^3 of water and ignore part 3.

rude man said:
I would interpret part 1 as 3.5m^3 of water and ignore part 3.
Alternatively, read part 3 as "how much power ... if this to be done once a second?"

haruspex said:
Alternatively, read part 3 as "how much power ... if this to be done once a second?"
See post 4.

rude man said:
See post 4.
I don't see the problem. It is reasonably clear that the author intends this as an ongoing process. Moist air is coming in at ##3.5m^3/s## and has to be raised from 10C to 17C, and the last part asks for the power. It's just worded poorly, so it is unclear whether the first part is asking for a quantity of energy or power.

Likes phyzguy
haruspex said:
I don't see the problem. It is reasonably clear that the author intends this as an ongoing process. Moist air is coming in at ##3.5m^3/s## and has to be raised from 10C to 17C, and the last part asks for the power. It's just worded poorly, so it is unclear whether the first part is asking for a quantity of energy or power.
OK the air is moving at 3.5m^3/sec. Then asking for heat is meaningless; it's power that makes sense. I went with 3.5m^3 of air; then asking for heat made sense. Poorly stated but not as bad as what I thought.

haruspex said:
This makes sense. When I made my comment in Post #2, I didn't see the "/s". I just read 3.5 m^3. Thanks for clarifying.

1. What is relative humidity?

Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapor present in the air compared to the maximum amount of water vapor that can be present at a given temperature. It is expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating higher levels of water vapor in the air.

2. How does adding heat affect relative humidity?

Adding heat to air increases its capacity to hold water vapor, which means the relative humidity will decrease. This is because the amount of water vapor in the air remains the same, but the maximum amount of water vapor that can be present at the higher temperature is greater.

3. Can relative humidity ever be higher than 100%?

No, relative humidity cannot be higher than 100%. This would mean that the air is holding more water vapor than it is capable of holding at a given temperature, which is not possible. When the relative humidity reaches 100%, the air is considered saturated and any additional water vapor will result in condensation.

4. How does temperature affect relative humidity?

Temperature has a direct impact on relative humidity. As temperature increases, the relative humidity decreases, and vice versa. This is because temperature affects the maximum amount of water vapor that can be present in the air, as well as the rate of evaporation and condensation.

5. Why is relative humidity important to understand?

Relative humidity is important to understand because it can affect our comfort, health, and the environment. High humidity can make us feel hot and sticky, while low humidity can cause dry skin and respiratory issues. It also plays a role in weather patterns and can impact the growth of plants and the spread of diseases.