Relative intensities of fine-structure components in an alkali

In summary, the problem involves finding the correct proportionality constant for total intensity in different energy levels. The solution is to compare levels within the same type (P or D) and to normalize the statistical weights to get a consistent proportionality constant of 15a for both P and D levels.
hicetnunc
Homework Statement
An emission line in the spectrum of an alkali has three fine-structure components corresponding to the transitions ##^2\text{P}_{3/2} - ^2\text{D}_{3/2}##, ##^2\text{P}_{3/2} - ^2\text{D}_{5/2}## and ##^2\text{P}_{1/2} - ^2\text{D}_{3/2}##. These components have intensities ##a##, ##b## and ##c##, respectively, that are in the ratio ##1:9:5##. Show that these satisfy the rule that the sum of the intensities of the transitions to, or from, a given level is proportional to its statistical weight (##2J+1##).
Relevant Equations
None.
Hi. I'm really stuck with this problem and would appreciate some help.

transitions.png

For example, if i take the total intensity from the ##^2\text{P}_{3/2}## level, i get ##a+b##. Since ##b## is 9 times larger than ##a##, i get that the total intensity is ##10a##. This should then be proportional to the statistical weight ##2J+1=4##, so ##10a = 4q##, where ##q## is a proportionality constant. Then ##q=2.5a##. But if I then consider the ##^2\text{D}_{3/2}## level, I get that its total intensity is ##a+c=6a## and has statistical weight 4. Then the proportionality constant would be ##q=\frac{6a}{4}=1.5a##. This doesn't seem right since I get different proportionality constants.

How should I handle this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can only compare the P levels with each other, or the D levels with each other, not P with D. This works if you consider that for the P levels, (a+b):c =10:5 = 4:2, while for the D levels b:(a+c) = 9:6 = 6:4. But the total number of states in the P and D levels are different (6 and 10 respectively), so the proportionality constants must be different.

However, you can do it if you normalise the statistical weights so that their sum for the P or D levels is 1. So the weight for 2P1/2 = 2/(2+4) = 1/3, for 2P3/2 is 2/3, 2D3/2 2/5, and 2D5/2 3/5. Then you get q = 15a for both P and D.

Likes hicetnunc and TSny
Alright, that cleared it up! Thanks a lot!

1. What is meant by "fine-structure components" in an alkali?

Fine-structure components in an alkali refer to the different energy levels of the electrons in the atom. These energy levels are caused by the interaction between the electron's spin and its orbital motion.

2. How are the relative intensities of fine-structure components measured?

The relative intensities of fine-structure components are measured using spectroscopy techniques. This involves shining light of a specific wavelength onto the alkali atom and analyzing the resulting spectrum to determine the relative intensities of the different components.

3. What factors affect the relative intensities of fine-structure components in an alkali?

The relative intensities of fine-structure components can be affected by factors such as the energy levels of the electrons, the strength of the electric and magnetic fields surrounding the atom, and the orientation of the atom in space.

4. Why is it important to study the relative intensities of fine-structure components in an alkali?

Studying the relative intensities of fine-structure components in an alkali can provide valuable information about the energy levels and behavior of electrons in the atom. This information can be used in a variety of fields, including atomic and molecular physics, chemistry, and materials science.

5. How do the relative intensities of fine-structure components in an alkali differ from other elements?

The relative intensities of fine-structure components in an alkali can differ from other elements due to the specific electron configurations and energy levels of the alkali atoms. Additionally, the strength of the electric and magnetic fields surrounding the atom can also affect the relative intensities in different ways.