Derive Relative Intensities from LS-Coupling Sum Rules

In summary, the table provides theoretical relative intensities for all possible ##^3F – ^3G## transitions in LS-coupling. These intensities can be used to verify the sum rules for LS-intensities in a multiplet. To derive the relative intensities in a ##^2D – ^2F## multiplet, one can use the sum rules and solve a system of equations with the constants from the sum rules. In this case, the solution can be found by using the equations $\frac{a+b}{3} = \frac{2}{7}$ and $\frac{a+b+c}{5} = \frac{3}{13}$ from the 2F and 3G multiplets,
John Greger

Homework Statement

The table gives the theoretical relative intensities in LS-coupling for all possible ##^3F – ^3G## transitions.

a) Use this data to verify the sum rules for

LS-intensities in a multiplet.
b) Use the sum rules to derive the relative intensities in a ##^2D – ^2F## multiplet. Hint: denote the intensities a, b and c and solve a system of equations.

Homework Equations

##\Sigma I / g = constant##. Where g=2J + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

So in a it was easy to verify the sum rule above. By simply summing the intensities for each column/row divide by 2J + 1 and se that the values was constants for the columns and rows.

However, in b). I sat up the equations $$a+b = 8*D_1$$
$$c = 8*6_1$$ and $$a+b = 10*D_2$$ $$b+c = 8*D_2$$

But I have to many unknown variables here. D1 and D2 is the constants for the rows and columns, respectively.

But perhaps D1 and D2 are the same as they where for the tripplet G and F, because then the problem is very simple. (I have no solutions so I don't know the right answer).

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2018-08-08 kl. 18.18.37.png
    Skärmavbild 2018-08-08 kl. 18.18.37.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 492
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be appreciated. A:Your equations are correct but you are missing the constants from the sum rules. $\sum_{i} \frac{I_{i}(J)}{2J+1} = k$ where k is a constant. Since you have a 2F, 3G multiplet you can use this equation twice to get two equations with two unknowns. The equation for the 2F multiplet is $\frac{a+b}{3} = \frac{2}{7}$ and the equation for the 3G multiplet is $\frac{a+b+c}{5} = \frac{3}{13}$ which should give you the solution.

1. What is the purpose of deriving relative intensities?

Deriving relative intensities allows for comparison and analysis of the relative strength of different signals or measurements. This can provide valuable insights into the underlying processes or phenomena being studied.

2. How are relative intensities calculated?

Relative intensities are typically calculated by normalizing the measured intensities to a reference or standard signal. This can be done by dividing each intensity by the reference intensity or by using a mathematical formula to adjust the values.

3. Can relative intensities be used to determine absolute values?

No, relative intensities only provide information about the relative strength of different signals. They cannot be used to determine absolute values or quantities.

4. Are there any limitations to deriving relative intensities?

Yes, deriving relative intensities requires accurate and precise measurements of the signals being compared. Any errors or variations in the measurements can affect the calculated relative intensities and may lead to inaccurate conclusions.

5. How are relative intensities used in scientific research?

Relative intensities are commonly used in various fields of science, such as spectroscopy, biochemistry, and geology. They can provide valuable information about the composition, structure, and behavior of substances and systems being studied.