Relative Motion Analysis: Acceleration of rotating disk

In summary, the problem involves a slotted link AC driven by a peg P connected to a rotating disk. The link has a fixed point A and its angular velocity and acceleration, \omega_{ac} and \alpha_{ac}, are to be determined. The given values for angular velocity and acceleration are \omega = 6 \frac{rad}{s} CCW and \alpha = 10 \frac{rad}{s^2} CCW, respectively. The distance l_{ap} between point A and P is 0.75 m and the distance r_{op} between point O (center of the disk) and P is 0.30 m. The angle between the link and the horizontal at t=0
_N3WTON_

Homework Statement

A slotted link AC is is driven by the peg P connected to a rotating disk. Point A is fixed. Determine the link's angular velocity, [itex] \omega_{ac}[/itex] and acceleration, [itex] \alpha_{ac}[/itex] when the angular velocity and acceleration are [itex] \omega [/itex] and [itex] \alpha [/itex], respectively.
[itex] \omega = 6 \frac{rad}{s} [/itex] CCW
[itex] \alpha = 10 \frac{rad}{s^2} [/itex] CCW
[itex] l_{ap} = 0.75 \hspace{1 mm} m [/itex]
[itex] r_{op} = 0.30 \hspace{1 mm} m [/itex]
[itex] \theta = \frac{\pi}{6} [/itex]
kBBmaLU.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I should state that I am genuinely lost on this problem. I am not sure at all how to go about finding the angular velocity for this one. For the acceleration I was thinking that I could perhaps draw an acceleration diagram and attempt to find the solution that way. Maybe I could do something similar for the velocity? I was hoping someone could sort of push me in the right direction/inform me whether there is a better way to solve this rather than a graphical approach. Any help at all is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The diagram uses theta for two different things... probably because they have the same size at t=0.
Play with the setup for different angles to P ... OP has a constand angular velocity so you can redo the sketch for equal times ans get a feel for what is happening.
There are several approaches but try finding the equation of the angle of the link as a function of time aband differentiating.

Simon Bridge said:
The diagram uses theta for two different things... probably because they have the same size at t=0.
Play with the setup for different angles to P ... OP has a constand angular velocity so you can redo the sketch for equal times ans get a feel for what is happening.
There are several approaches but try finding the equation of the angle of the link as a function of time aband differentiating.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. One thought I did have was to consider this as a crank and slotted lever mechanism, where the disk is the crank. Could I do an analysis this way? Or would it be too inaccurate?

Maybe - I'd do it directly by geometry myself.

What is relative motion analysis and how does it relate to acceleration of a rotating disk?

Relative motion analysis is a method used to analyze the movement of objects in relation to one another. In terms of acceleration of a rotating disk, this means studying the change in velocity and direction of the disk as it rotates.

Why is it important to study the acceleration of a rotating disk using relative motion analysis?

Understanding the acceleration of a rotating disk is crucial in many fields, such as engineering and physics, as it allows us to predict and control the movement of objects in rotational motion. Relative motion analysis helps us to accurately measure and analyze this acceleration.

What factors affect the acceleration of a rotating disk?

The acceleration of a rotating disk is affected by several factors, including the mass of the disk, the speed at which it is rotating, and the applied torque or force. The shape and size of the disk can also play a role.

How is acceleration of a rotating disk calculated using relative motion analysis?

The acceleration of a rotating disk can be calculated using the formula a = ω²r, where "a" is the acceleration, "ω" is the angular velocity (rate of rotation), and "r" is the radius of the disk. This formula can be derived using relative motion analysis and the principles of circular motion.

Can relative motion analysis be used to study other types of motion besides rotational motion?

Yes, relative motion analysis can be applied to study various types of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. It can also be used to analyze the motion of multiple objects moving in different directions and speeds.