1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative-Motion analysis between two particles

1. Jun 6, 2006 #1
    At the instant shown, the bicyclist shown at A is traveling at 7 m/s around the curve while increasing his speed at 0.5 m/s^2. The bicyclist at B is traveling at 8.5 m/s along the straight-a-way and increasing his speed at 0.7 m/s^2. Determine the relative vrlocity and the relative acceleration of A with respect to B at this instant.

[​IMG]

I figured out the relative velocity:

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_B}\,=\,\left{(8.5)\,\widehat{i}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_A}\,=\,\left{(7\,cos\,50)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-7\,sin\,50)\,\widehat{j}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_{A/B}}\,=\,\overrightarrow{V_A}\,-\,\overrightarrow{V_B}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_{A/B}}\,=\,\left{[\,(7\,cos\,50)\,-\,8.5]\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-7\,sin\,50)\,\widehat{j}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_{A/B}}\,=\,\left{(-4.00)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-5.36)\,\widehat{j}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]V_{A/B}\,=\,\sqrt{(-4.00)^2\,+\,(-5.36)^2}\,=\,6.69\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

The above answer for the magnitude of the velocity is correct. However, I cannot figure the acceleration part!!!

[tex](A_A)_N\,=\,\frac{V_A^2}{\rho}\,=\,\frac{7^2}{50}\,=\,0.98\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

I know the normal part of the bike at A's acceleration, but when I use this and the other EQ's for the acceleration, I don't get the correct answer! Please Help!

[tex]a_B\,=\,a_A\,+\,a_{B/A}[/tex]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2006 #2

andrevdh

Homework Helper

The radial part of the acceleration of A, [tex]a_r[/tex] is given by
    [tex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] while the tangential acceleration of A is [tex]a_t\ =\ 0.5\ m/s^2[/tex] which will itself be normal to the indicated radius. This means that you need to decompose both these accelerations into x- and y-components to get the components of the acceleration of A. Much less work need to be done if you rather align your x/y axis with these two acceleration components [tex]a_r , a_t[/tex] and express the acceleration of B in this sytem.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2006
  4. Jun 6, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the help!

I set up the coordinate system like you said and get the right answer:

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{A}}\,=\,{(0.5)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-0.98)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{B}}\,=\,{\left(0.7\,cos\,50\right)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,\left(0.7\,sin\,50\right)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{A/B}}\,=\,\overrightarrow{A_A}\,-\,\overrightarrow{A_B}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{A/B}}\,=\,{(0.05)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-1.52)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]A_{A/B}\,=\,\sqrt{\left(0.05\,\frac{m}{s^2}\right)^2\,+\,\left(-1.52\,\frac{m}{s^2}\right)^2}\,=\,1.52\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

5. Jun 6, 2006 #4

andrevdh

Homework Helper

Its a privilege to help someone who enjoys his physics and gives me great pleasure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?