Relative-Motion analysis between two particles

In summary, the bicyclist at point A is traveling at 7 m/s around a curve while increasing their speed at 0.5 m/s^2, while the bicyclist at point B is traveling at 8.5 m/s along a straight-a-way and increasing their speed at 0.7 m/s^2. The relative velocity of A with respect to B at this instant is (-4.00 i - 5.36 j) m/s and the relative acceleration is (0.05 i - 1.52 j) m/s^2. The acceleration components need to be decomposed into x- and y-components to get the correct answer.
VinnyCee
At the instant shown, the bicyclist shown at A is traveling at 7 m/s around the curve while increasing his speed at 0.5 m/s^2. The bicyclist at B is traveling at 8.5 m/s along the straight-a-way and increasing his speed at 0.7 m/s^2. Determine the relative vrlocity and the relative acceleration of A with respect to B at this instant.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/2137/engr204problem122012tn.jpg

I figured out the relative velocity:

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_B}\,=\,\left{(8.5)\,\widehat{i}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_A}\,=\,\left{(7\,cos\,50)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-7\,sin\,50)\,\widehat{j}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_{A/B}}\,=\,\overrightarrow{V_A}\,-\,\overrightarrow{V_B}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_{A/B}}\,=\,\left{[\,(7\,cos\,50)\,-\,8.5]\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-7\,sin\,50)\,\widehat{j}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{V_{A/B}}\,=\,\left{(-4.00)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-5.36)\,\widehat{j}\right}\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

[tex]V_{A/B}\,=\,\sqrt{(-4.00)^2\,+\,(-5.36)^2}\,=\,6.69\,\frac{m}{s}[/tex]

The above answer for the magnitude of the velocity is correct. However, I cannot figure the acceleration part!

[tex](A_A)_N\,=\,\frac{V_A^2}{\rho}\,=\,\frac{7^2}{50}\,=\,0.98\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

I know the normal part of the bike at A's acceleration, but when I use this and the other EQ's for the acceleration, I don't get the correct answer! Please Help!

[tex]a_B\,=\,a_A\,+\,a_{B/A}[/tex]

Attachments

• ENGR204_Problem12-201.JPG
    ENGR204_Problem12-201.JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 758
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The radial part of the acceleration of A, [tex]a_r[/tex] is given by
[tex]\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex] while the tangential acceleration of A is [tex]a_t\ =\ 0.5\ m/s^2[/tex] which will itself be normal to the indicated radius. This means that you need to decompose both these accelerations into x- and y-components to get the components of the acceleration of A. Much less work need to be done if you rather align your x/y axis with these two acceleration components [tex]a_r , a_t[/tex] and express the acceleration of B in this sytem.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

I set up the coordinate system like you said and get the right answer:

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{A}}\,=\,{(0.5)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-0.98)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{B}}\,=\,{\left(0.7\,cos\,50\right)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,\left(0.7\,sin\,50\right)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{A/B}}\,=\,\overrightarrow{A_A}\,-\,\overrightarrow{A_B}[/tex]

[tex]\overrightarrow{A_{A/B}}\,=\,{(0.05)\,\widehat{i}\,+\,(-1.52)\,\widehat{j}}\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

[tex]A_{A/B}\,=\,\sqrt{\left(0.05\,\frac{m}{s^2}\right)^2\,+\,\left(-1.52\,\frac{m}{s^2}\right)^2}\,=\,1.52\,\frac{m}{s^2}[/tex]

Its a privilege to help someone who enjoys his physics and gives me great pleasure.

What is relative-motion analysis between two particles?

Relative-motion analysis is a method used in physics to study the motion of two particles with respect to each other. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of both particles in relation to each other.

How is relative-motion analysis different from absolute-motion analysis?

Absolute-motion analysis looks at the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle with respect to a fixed reference point. In contrast, relative-motion analysis studies the motion of two particles relative to each other, without considering a fixed reference point.

What are the key equations used in relative-motion analysis?

The key equations used in relative-motion analysis are the equations for velocity and acceleration in terms of relative motion. These are given by vAB = vA - vB and aAB = aA - aB, where v and a represent velocity and acceleration, and the subscripts A and B denote the two particles.

What are the two types of relative motion?

The two types of relative motion are linear relative motion and angular relative motion. Linear relative motion refers to the motion of particles along a straight line, while angular relative motion refers to the motion of particles along a circular or rotational path.

What are some real-world applications of relative-motion analysis?

Relative-motion analysis has many practical applications, such as in the fields of engineering, robotics, and transportation. It is used to study the movement of objects in relation to each other, and can help in designing machines, predicting collisions, and optimizing movement in various systems.