1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative motion involving vectors(kinematics)

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Ship A is located 3.5 km north and 2.8 km east of ship B. Ship A has a velocity of 22 km/h toward the south and ship B has a velocity of 40 km/h in a direction 37° north of east.

At what time is the separation between the ships least?

2. Relevant equations

Where V_ab is the velocity of a with respect to b and V_a or V_b is the velocity of that ship.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking this part of the problem involves relative motion as well as kinematics, however I can't find out how to get the LEAST distance, the only thing I can think is when the positions are equal, which they should never be however,

I've found the position vector of a with respect to b as:

(2.8-31.95t)i+(3.5-46.07t)j=r_fab (r_fab is final position of a with respect to b)

from this I'm stuck as to where to go, I don't know how to find the LEAST distance between the two, I tried setting the position equations equal to each other( r_b=r_ab) but I can't seem to find answer because there are two different times for the x component and the y component.

Help please, thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the relative position vector is (a+ bt)i+ (c+ dt)j, then the distance between them is [itex]\sqrt{(a+bt)^2+ (c+ dt)^2}[/itex]. Do you know how to minimize that?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?