Relative Relativistic Velocities

In summary, the speed of B in A's frame of reference is 0.81c. This can be found using the relativistic velocity addition formula, which is well-known and can be easily searched online. The confusion may arise from different labeling conventions, but ultimately the same result is obtained.
Chinkylee
Relative Relativistic Velocities!

Suppose 2 space ships are moving at 0.51c, one moving left, the other one moving right.
A<------- -------->B
0.51c 0.51c

the speeds measured from a stationary observer. What is the speed of B in A's frame of reference?

Been thinking about the answer but can't find anything so confused now.

Physics news on Phys.org

Oh, i think you will find your answer by saying everything remains relative. I know that some people will state that you need to add the speeds up from both frames, but if this was to hold, both of them would find each other moving away from each other faster than light.

The speed of B in A's frame of reference is given by
v=(.51+.51)c/(1+.51X.51).

Google the phrase "relativistic velocity addition". This is well-known and there is a lot of material available.

The velocity addition formula with c=1 is w=(u+v)/(1+uv). In this case, u=-0.51, w=0.51, and v is what we're trying to find. So solve for v: w+wuv=u+v, w-u=(1-wu)v, v=(w-u)/(1-wu)=0.81.

Clem's solution "w unknown, u=v=0.51" looked wrong to me, but I'm getting the same result using "v unknown, w=-u=0.51".

Fredrik said:
The velocity addition formula with c=1 is w=(u+v)/(1+uv). In this case, u=-0.51, w=0.51, and v is what we're trying to find. So solve for v: w+wuv=u+v, w-u=(1-wu)v, v=(w-u)/(1-wu)=0.81.

Clem's solution "w unknown, u=v=0.51" looked wrong to me, but I'm getting the same result using "v unknown, w=-u=0.51".
Look at the way u, v and w are defined in terms of the diagram here, with A moving at v to the right relative to B and B moving at u to the right relative to C, and A moving at w to the right relative to C. Now relabel the spaceship on the left in the OP's diagram as "C", relabel the spaceship on the right as "A", and have the observer in the middle be "B", like so:

C<------- B -------->A

Then shift to C's rest frame, where both B and A are moving to the right, with A having a higher speed than B:

C ------->B ------------->A

...and this will then match the diagram on the page I linked to above, with B moving at u=0.51c to the right in C's frame, and A moving at v=0.51c to the right in B's frame.

I see. I used the labeling BCA instead of CBA. This is of course just as correct, but more complicated then necessary.

1. What is the concept of relative relativistic velocities?

Relative relativistic velocities refer to the measurement of velocities between two objects that are moving at significant speeds relative to each other, approaching the speed of light. This concept is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative velocities.

2. How is the velocity of an object affected by its relative motion?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object's velocity is not an absolute value, but rather depends on the observer's frame of reference. This means that the velocity of an object will appear different to observers in different reference frames, particularly at high speeds approaching the speed of light.

3. Can an object exceed the speed of light in a relative sense?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed that any object can attain. This applies to both absolute and relative velocities. As an object approaches the speed of light, its relative velocity may appear to increase, but it can never exceed the speed of light.

4. How does time dilation factor into relative relativistic velocities?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by Einstein's theory of relativity, where time appears to pass slower for objects in motion at high speeds. This means that as an object approaches the speed of light, time will appear to pass slower for that object relative to an observer in a different frame of reference. This affects the measurement of relative velocities.

5. What are some real-life implications of relative relativistic velocities?

The concept of relative relativistic velocities has real-life implications in fields such as astronomy and space travel. For example, the phenomenon of time dilation must be taken into account when calculating the travel time for spacecraft traveling at high speeds. It also plays a role in the observed effects of gravitational lensing, where the light from distant objects appears to bend due to the effects of gravity on the speed of light.