Relative uncertainty in momentum for electron measured to de Broglie wavelength

  • Thread starter Thread starter physstudent.4
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Homework
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
physstudent.4
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Suppose you measured the x-component of position of an electron to an accuracy
matching it’s de Broglie wavelength, i.e., Δx = lambda/2. What is the relative
uncertainty in the electron’s x-component of momentum, Δp/p?


Homework Equations



ΔxΔp >= h(bar)/2


The Attempt at a Solution



I just wanted to clarify that relative uncertainty is Δp, not Δp/p. My professor writes these questions and is currently sick, so I feel like he may have not been thinking completely clearly... I am finding Δp, and not the ratio Δp/p? I am pretty sure I merely need Δp.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure that your professor does want you to find what the relative uncertainty is (which is Δp/p).

The key to this problem is that Δx depends on p.