1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relative Velocity of an aircraft carrier

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[​IMG]

3. The attempt at a solution

Vch = Vce + Vhe Do I have this correct?

I am guessing I need to find the velocity of the carrier with the respect to earth, and also find the velocity of the helicopter with respect to earth. Than with these two answers I can find the velocity of the carrier with respect to the helicopter. Do I have this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're on the right track.
    Now try expressing [itex]\vec v_\mathrm{CE}[/itex] and [itex]\vec v_\mathrm{HE}[/itex] in terms of the given vectors.

By the way, your image is a bit large. Next time, can you make it a bit smaller (so it at least fits on a standard size screen) or upload it as attachment?

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    Here you go, I resized it. Sorry about that.

Ok so how does this look?

Vcw = Vce + Vwe which when numbers plugged in gives me 20 = Vce + 10. I ended up getting Vce = 17.3 m/h is that correct?

Vhe = Vha + Vae which when numbers plugged in gives me Vhe = 40 + 30. I ended up getting Vhe = 50 m/h am i correct or way off?

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?