Relative Velocity of an aircraft carrier

In summary, the conversation is about finding the velocity of a carrier and a helicopter with respect to the earth, and then using those velocities to find the velocity of the carrier with respect to the helicopter. The person is asking for confirmation on their approach and for help expressing the velocities in terms of given vectors. They also mention resizing an image and ask for confirmation on their calculated velocities.
CursedAntagonis

Homework Statement

PhysicsProblem.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Vch = Vce + Vhe Do I have this correct?

I am guessing I need to find the velocity of the carrier with the respect to earth, and also find the velocity of the helicopter with respect to earth. Than with these two answers I can find the velocity of the carrier with respect to the helicopter. Do I have this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track.
Now try expressing [itex]\vec v_\mathrm{CE}[/itex] and [itex]\vec v_\mathrm{HE}[/itex] in terms of the given vectors.

By the way, your image is a bit large. Next time, can you make it a bit smaller (so it at least fits on a standard size screen) or upload it as attachment?

Here you go, I resized it. Sorry about that.

Ok so how does this look?

Vcw = Vce + Vwe which when numbers plugged in gives me 20 = Vce + 10. I ended up getting Vce = 17.3 m/h is that correct?

Vhe = Vha + Vae which when numbers plugged in gives me Vhe = 40 + 30. I ended up getting Vhe = 50 m/h am i correct or way off?

Thanks.

1. What is relative velocity of an aircraft carrier?

Relative velocity of an aircraft carrier refers to the speed and direction at which the carrier is moving relative to a reference point, such as the Earth's surface or another object in motion.

2. How is the relative velocity of an aircraft carrier calculated?

The relative velocity of an aircraft carrier is calculated by combining the carrier's speed and direction of movement with the speed and direction of the reference point. This can be done using vector addition or by using the formula Vr = Vc + Vp, where Vr is the relative velocity, Vc is the carrier's velocity, and Vp is the velocity of the reference point.

3. Why is relative velocity important for aircraft carriers?

Relative velocity is important for aircraft carriers because it affects the carrier's ability to launch and recover aircraft, as well as its navigation and maneuvering capabilities. It also plays a role in determining the carrier's position and course in relation to other objects, such as other ships or aircraft.

4. How does wind affect the relative velocity of an aircraft carrier?

Wind can have a significant impact on the relative velocity of an aircraft carrier. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the carrier's movement, it will increase the carrier's speed. However, if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it will decrease the carrier's speed and potentially affect its course.

5. How can the relative velocity of an aircraft carrier be controlled?

The relative velocity of an aircraft carrier can be controlled through various means, such as adjusting the carrier's speed and direction, using propulsion systems, and utilizing navigation and steering equipment. Additionally, the carrier's crew and pilots must continuously monitor and adjust for changes in wind and other factors that may affect the relative velocity.