Relative Velocity with plane and wind

In summary, an aircraft flew due east fro P to Q at u1 km/h.The wind speed from south west was v km/h.On the return journey from Q to P,due west, the aircraft's speed was u2 km/h, the wind velocity being unchanged.If the speed of the aircraft in still air was x km/h, x>v, then vpw = (xcosa)i - (xsina)j and vw = (v√2/2)i + (v√2/2)j.VP = (xcosa + v√2/2)i +(xsina + v√2/2)j
Woolyabyss

Homework Statement

An aircraft flew due east fro P to Q at u1 km/h.Wind speed from south west was v km/h.On the return journey from Q to P,due west, the aircraft's speed was u2 km/h, the wind velocity being unchanged.If the speed of the aircraft in still air was x km/h, x>v,show by resolving the perpendicular to PQ.or otherwise,that
u1 - u2 = v√2

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b/

Can somebody help me with this?I think I made a simple mistake.

vpw = (xcosa)i - (xsina)j

vw = (v√2/2)i + (v√2/2)j

vp = (xcosa + v√2/2)i +(xsina + v√2/2)

since the j component must be zero sina = 2v/2x .... cosa =√(4x^2 -2v^2)/2x

vp =x√(4x^2 -2v^2)/2x + v√2/2 = (v√2 + √(4x^2 -2v^2))/2 = u1

return journey

since the plane is traveling in the opposite direction

vpw = (-xcosa)i - (xsina)j

vp = (-xcosa + v√2/2)i +(-xsina + v√2/2)j

since j is zero cosa =√(4x^2-2v^2)/2x

u2=vp= (v√2 - √4x^2 -2v^2)/2 i

u1 - u2 = (√(4x^2 - 2v^2) +√(2v^2))/2 - (√(4x^2 -2v^2) - √(2v^2))/2

If I simplify it doesn't work out.Should I have multiplied u2 by minus 1 since its going in the minus i direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably the easiest way to check your working is to draw out the vector triangles and do the geometry.

Sorry I am not exactly sure what you mean.I get the correct answer if I use the vector as opposed to the magnitude of the vector.

Last edited:
The solution involves adding and subtracting vectors - there are two main ways of doing this. You have been resolving each vector into components N-S and E-W.
Have you tried sketching the vectors out using head-to-tail?

I just figured where I went wrong thanks anyway.

1. What is relative velocity with plane and wind?

Relative velocity with plane and wind refers to the combined motion of an airplane and the surrounding air. It takes into account the speed and direction of the airplane as well as the speed and direction of the wind.

2. How does wind affect the speed and direction of a plane?

Wind can either help or hinder the speed and direction of a plane. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the plane, it can increase the speed of the plane. However, if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it can slow down the plane or even push it off course.

3. How is relative velocity calculated for a plane and wind?

To calculate relative velocity for a plane and wind, you must first determine the speed and direction of the plane and the wind. Then, you can use vector addition to find the resultant velocity, which is the combined velocity of the plane and the wind.

4. How can pilots account for relative velocity with plane and wind?

Pilots must constantly monitor and adjust for relative velocity with plane and wind in order to maintain the desired speed and direction of the plane. They can use instruments such as an airspeed indicator and a heading indicator to help them make these adjustments.

5. What are some real-life examples of relative velocity with plane and wind?

One example is when a plane is flying with a tailwind, which is wind blowing in the same direction as the plane. This can increase the plane's ground speed and make the flight faster. Another example is when a plane is flying with a headwind, which is wind blowing in the opposite direction as the plane. This can decrease the plane's ground speed and make the flight longer.