1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Bohr Atom and MacLaurin Series

1. May 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

By expanding a MacLaurin Series show that
    [tex]E_{n}=\epsilon_{n} - \mu c^{2} = - \frac{w_{0}Z^{2}}{n^{2}}[1+\frac{\alpha^{2} Z^{2}}{n}(\frac{1}{k}-\frac{3}{4n})][/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Through a lengthy derivation I arrived at
    [tex]\epsilon_{n}=\frac{\mu c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}{n_{r}+\sqrt{l^{2}-Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}}}}[/tex]
    I should add that k is what the text is using for the azimuthal quantum number, I used l in my derivation out of habit.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I've got no ideas where to go with this thing. I should take advantage of identites
    Do I need to make some aggressive substitutions?
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2012 #2
    I think I can make the following justifiable substitution
    [tex]\epsilon_{n}=\frac{\mu c^2}{\sqrt{1+\frac{Z^{2}\alpha^{2}}{n'}}}[/tex]
    Where [itex]n' = n_{r} + \sqrt{l^{2}-Z^{2} \alpha^{2}}[/itex]. But this still doesn't get me any closer to arriving at [itex]E_{n}=\epsilon_{n} - \mu c^{2} = - \frac{w_{0}Z^{2}}{n^{2}}[1+\frac{\alpha^{2} Z^{2}}{n}(\frac{1}{k}-\frac{3}{4n})][/itex] through a Maclaurin series.
  4. May 7, 2012 #3
    Ok, I may be closer... using the substitution above to put [itex]E_{n} = \epsilon_{n} - \mu c^{2}[/itex] in terms of n' I can calculate a Maclaurin series as follows
    [tex]- \mu c^{2} + \frac{\mu c^{2} \sqrt{n'}}{\alpha Z} - \frac{n^{3/2} (\mu c^{2} \alpha Z)}{2(\alpha^{4} Z^{4})} + \frac{n^{5/2} (3 \mu c^{2} \alpha Z)}{8 \alpha^{6} Z^{6}} - ...[/tex]
    Am I on the right track to the final [itex]E_{n}[/itex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?