Relativistic Energy in an Inverse Square Field: The Impact of Velocity

In summary: Rather, you need to use the Schwarzschild metric and the geodesic equation to describe the motion of a particle in a gravitational field. Essentially, the force is not proportional to 1/r^2 in general relativity. In summary, a particle's energy in an inverse square field is proportional to 1/r, even in relativity. However, when considering the gravitational time dilation, the 1/r potential is no longer accurate and the Schwarzschild metric must be used.
granpa
for an inverse square field the force is proportional to 1/r^2

obviously we integrate over distance to get energy ≡ 1/r (where energy = 0 at infinity)

but what happens when velocity becomes relativistic?
is relativistic energy proportional to 1/r?if its any easier what I am really looking for is gamma as a function of r for an inverse square field and gamma = 1 at infinity

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, if the force is proportional to 1/r^2, then the energy of the particle is proportional to 1/r. (Even in relativity).

wikipedia says that

KE = m0(gamma - 1)

so

gamma = KE + 1 = 1/r + 1

granpa said:
gamma = KE + 1 = 1/r + 1
Huh? How did you get this? Gamma is not a function of position.

its for an inverse square field where gamma = 1 at infinity

I'm assuming that KE = 1/r

granpa said:
wikipedia says that

KE = m0(gamma - 1)

so

gamma = KE + 1 = 1/r + 1

Wikipedia are using the convention of setting c=1. If you want to include c, then the equation is:
[tex] KE = m_0c^2(\gamma - 1) [/tex]
So then you'd get:
[tex]\gamma = \frac{KE}{m_0c^2} + 1 [/tex]
And if we say gamma=1 when r=infinity, then KE=0 at r=infinity.
We know 1/r gives the change in energy of the particle. And assuming the rest mass of the particle doesn't change, then 1/r is proportional to the KE.

So then we have
[tex]\gamma = \alpha \frac{1}{r} + 1 [/tex]
Where I've left in the alpha as a constant of proportionality, since there is the rest mass, strength of the force and the speed of light which are all constants that must be taken in.
(So yes, I agree, as long as the constants are kept in, which also provide the correct dimensions)

granpa said:
I'm assuming that KE = 1/r
Oh, ok.

I've been told that the gravitational time dilation at any point in a gravitational field is equal to the time dilation that a particle falling from infinity to that point would experience due to its velocity alone.

Is that right?

I'm not sure, since I don't know much about general relativity.

According to wikipedia, the gravitational time dilation of an object at rest in the vicinity of a non-rotating massive spherically-symmetric object is:
[tex]\frac{1}{1-\frac{r_0}{r}}[/tex]
Where r0 is the Schwarzschild radius of the massive object.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/gratim.html

gtim1.gif

where T is the time interval measured by a clock far away from the mass

since
gtim4.gif

gtim5.gif

Last edited:
granpa said:
I've been told that the gravitational time dilation at any point in a gravitational field is equal to the time dilation that a particle falling from infinity to that point would experience due to its velocity alone.

Is that right?

Note that, if you want to talk about gravity in a relativistic manner, the 1/r potential is no longer a correct description.

1. What is relativistic energy in an inverse square field?

Relativistic energy in an inverse square field is a concept in physics that explains the relationship between an object's velocity and its energy in a gravitational field that follows the inverse square law. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its energy also increases, leading to a stronger gravitational force.

2. How is relativistic energy different from classical energy?

Relativistic energy takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. In contrast, classical energy only considers the effects of Newtonian mechanics, which do not account for relativistic effects at high velocities.

3. What is the impact of velocity on relativistic energy?

The impact of velocity on relativistic energy is that as an object's velocity increases, its energy also increases. This leads to a stronger gravitational force, which can affect the object's trajectory and behavior in an inverse square field.

4. What are some real-world examples of relativistic energy in an inverse square field?

One example of relativistic energy in an inverse square field is the orbit of planets around the sun. As a planet's velocity increases, its energy also increases, leading to a stronger gravitational pull from the sun. Another example is the motion of particles in a particle accelerator, where high velocities can lead to significant relativistic effects.

5. How is the concept of relativistic energy in an inverse square field used in scientific research?

The concept of relativistic energy in an inverse square field is used in various fields of physics, such as astrophysics, particle physics, and cosmology. It is also crucial in the development of theories and models to explain the behavior of objects and particles at high velocities and in strong gravitational fields.