Relativistic Equation Questions

In summary, the relativistic equation, also known as the Lorentz transformation, is a mathematical formula that describes the effects of speed on space and time. It differs from classical equations by taking into account time dilation and length contraction, and stating that the speed of light is constant. The speed of light, denoted by c, is a fundamental concept in the equation and has various practical applications. Some key concepts related to the equation include time dilation, length contraction, the principle of relativity, and the invariance of the speed of light. Overall, the relativistic equation is a crucial component of Einstein's theory of special relativity and plays a significant role in modern physics.
CAF123
Gold Member
I understand that the relativistic eqn that applies to all particles in all frames of reference and that works for both massless and massive particles is E^2 = (p^2)(c^2) + (m^2)(c^4).
I then attempted a small question:
Deduce the de Broglie wavelength of thermal neutrons from a nuclear reactor which have k.E ~(3/2)kT.
I have the correct answer and know how to solve the problem (which is why I did not post in homework forum), however, I found the answer by finding k.E by the above formula and then equating this to (1/2)mV^2 and solving for v. After finding v, I found p = mv and therefore the de Broglie wavelength.

My question is: when I instead use the relativistic eqn at the top (which according to my notes works in all frames of references) I yield a negative under the square root. Why is this so? Why aren't things consistent?

For reference, I used E = 6.1 x10^-21 J in both attempted methods.

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be easier to find the non-relativistic p=mv this way
[tex] pc=m_ov \cdot c=m_o \beta c^2 = 2\beta(\frac{1}{2}m_o c^2) = 2\beta \cdot KE [/tex]
[added] The fully relativistic pc is
[tex] pc=mv \cdot c=m\beta c^2 = \beta \gamma \cdot m_o c^2 [/tex]

Last edited:
What does beta stand for?
I am still not sure, however, why the results would be inconsistent.

beta is the ratio [itex] \beta = \frac{v}{c} [/itex] where v is the velocity. γ is the ratio of the total energy (kinetic plus rest mass) divided by the rest mass.

Thanks. Have you any ideas why both my methods are giving inconsistent results?

[tex] (pc)^2=E^2-(m_oc^2)^2=(KE+m_oc^2)^2-(m_oc^2)^2 = KE^2+2KE \cdot m_oc^2 + (m_oc^2)^2 -(m_oc^2)^2[/tex]
[tex] (pc)^2= KE^2+2KE \cdot m_oc^2 [/tex]
At very low energies the first term can be dropped, yielding
[tex] (pc)^2= 2KE \cdot m_oc^2 [/tex]
so
[tex] pc=\sqrt{2 \cdot KE \cdot m_oc^2} [/tex]
All energies including pc have to be in same units.
[tex] m_ov \cdot c=\sqrt{2 \cdot KE \cdot m_oc^2} [/tex]
[tex] v=\frac {\sqrt{2 \cdot KE \cdot m_oc^2}}{m_oc} = \frac {c \cdot\sqrt{2 \cdot KE \cdot m_oc^2}}{m_oc^2} = \frac {c \cdot\sqrt{3 kT }}{\sqrt{m_oc^2}} [/tex]
where [itex] KE=\frac{3}{2}kT [/itex]
So v is c times a dimensionless ratio.

[added] For neutrons, moc2 = 939 MeV = 1.50 x 10-10 Joules.

Last edited:
Ok, thanks a lot. I now have the correct answer using both methods.

There is another way:
[tex] (pc)^2=E^2-(m_oc^2)^2=\left(E+m_oc^2\right)\left(E- m_oc^2\right) [/tex]
At non-relativistic energies E - moc2 = KE and E + moc2 = 2moc2 so this becomes
[tex] (pc)^2=2\cdot m_oc^2\cdot KE [/tex] etc.

I've thought of one question: if we are dealing with non-relativistic scales, why does E = K.E + mc^2 and not simply E= K.E?
Is this a necessary condition that makes the relativistic eqn applicable?

CAF123 said:
I've thought of one question: if we are dealing with non-relativistic scales, why does E = K.E + mc^2 and not simply E= K.E?
Is this a necessary condition that makes the relativistic eqn applicable?
In relativistic equations, E is always the sum of the kinetic plus rest mass energies, so the non-relativistic approximations (when KE<<moc2) are E - moc2 = KE, and E+moc2 = 2moc2.

Calculate the relalitivistic mass-rest mass ratio, for an electron whose velocity is 20% of the velocity of light? can anyone answer this for me? thanks

Just use the relativistic eqn which relates relativistic mass to rest mass.
(the one with rest mass/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)) - sorry not proficient with latex.

V = 0.2c.
Substitute with rest mass = 9.11 10 ^-31 kg.
Then calculate ratio: relativistic mass/rest mass.

CAF123 said:
Just use the relativistic eqn which relates relativistic mass to rest mass.
(the one with rest mass/sqrt(1-(v^2/c^2)) - sorry not proficient with latex.

V = 0.2c.
Substitute with rest mass = 9.11 10 ^-31 kg.
Then calculate ratio: relativistic mass/rest mass.

can you show me how to solve it? and what is the answer?

Are you familiar with the eqn I transcribed in the text?
If so, just use that formula to find the relativistic mass of the electron.
We know rest mass : ~ 9.11 x 10^-31kg.
We know v: 0.2c , c is speed of light in vacuum (~ 3x 10^8 m/s)
Substitute this into the formula, perhaps calculating the parts under the square root independently so as to not confuse your calculator.
You should get a relativistic mass of ~ 9.30 x 10^-31 kg. This makes sense: it is traveling faster and so by relativity, there should be an increase in its mass and this is what is found.
To find ratio, simply divide relativistic mass by rest mass. Should get about 1.02. Yes?

CAF123 said:
Are you familiar with the eqn I transcribed in the text?
If so, just use that formula to find the relativistic mass of the electron.
We know rest mass : ~ 9.11 x 10^-31kg.
We know v: 0.2c , c is speed of light in vacuum (~ 3x 10^8 m/s)
Substitute this into the formula, perhaps calculating the parts under the square root independently so as to not confuse your calculator.
You should get a relativistic mass of ~ 9.30 x 10^-31 kg. This makes sense: it is traveling faster and so by relativity, there should be an increase in its mass and this is what is found.
To find ratio, simply divide relativistic mass by rest mass. Should get about 1.02. Yes?

thank you for helping me but... i really don't get it... hehehe..

can you show me step by step solution of the problem? how did you get 1.02? is that the relalitivistic mass-rest mass ratio?

We don't do people's homework for them. Please re-post your question in one of the "Homework & Coursework Questions" forums ("Introductory Physics" is probably the most appropriate one), and show your work so far, even if you're pretty sure it's wrong. People there will try to identify specific errors and give you hints to proceed further.

1. What is the relativistic equation?

The relativistic equation, also known as the Lorentz transformation, is a mathematical formula that describes how space and time are affected by the speed of an object. It is a fundamental concept in Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How does the relativistic equation differ from classical equations?

The relativistic equation takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which are not considered in classical equations. It also states that the speed of light is constant, unlike classical equations which assume that all velocities are relative to each other.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in the relativistic equation?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is a constant in the relativistic equation. This means that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. It is a fundamental concept in special relativity and plays a crucial role in many other equations and theories in physics.

4. How is the relativistic equation used in practical applications?

The relativistic equation is used in various practical applications, such as in GPS systems, particle accelerators, and nuclear power plants. It is also used in the calculation of time dilation and length contraction in high-speed objects, and in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation.

5. What are some key concepts related to the relativistic equation?

Some key concepts related to the relativistic equation include time dilation, length contraction, the principle of relativity, and the invariance of the speed of light. These concepts are essential in understanding the behavior of objects at high speeds and play a crucial role in modern physics.