Relativistic kinematics: when will a photon and spaceship meet?

In summary, the photon travels the distance d' from planet A to planet B in the space ship's frame of reference. The time it takes for the space ship to travel this distance is t. The photon and the spaceship meet at the moment t=2d'/c - d'/(c/n).
CybrSpace
Hello to everyone! I cane across this problem and since I have no training in SR I can't solve it on my own, That is why I would very mutch apprecitate any help I could get.

The problem:
A photon and a spaceship simultaneously start at planet A and the travel in paralal towards planet B. The spaceship travels at speed c/n where n>1. The distance between A and B is d. When the photon reaches planet B it gets reflected back to A by a mirror.

The Question:
At what time will the rochet and the spaceship meet since started from planet A?
The clock to measure time is inside the rocket it's self.

Attemting a solution (propably wrong)
The clock is on the spaceship, therefore we are looking at the system from the spaceships frame of reference.
Lorentz-contraction occours :
d' = d √1-(v^2/c^2)

The maximum distance the photon can travel is 2d ; from A to B then back. (the spaceship could move with extreemly slow speeds, almost standing.)
The maximum distance the spaceship can make, is d ; from A to B (because the photon turns around at B making this point theoretically the farthest point where they can meet.)

If I calculate the the time needed for the photon to travel that distance taking into account the Lorentz-contraction, and then subtract the time needed for the rocket to travel the max distance, i get the time of meeting?
Photon: t= 2d'/c
Spaceship: t=d'/(c/n)
Therefore: t=2d'/c - d'/(c/n) Is this correct?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello CybrSpace and welcome to PF!

I don't believe your analysis is correct. I suggest you draw a couple of sketches of the situation in the frame of reference of the ship.

For your first sketch, draw the locations of the ship, photon, and planets at the instant the photon leaves planet A. Indicate the distance d' on the picture.

Then draw a sketch showing the locations of these objects at the instant the photon arrives at planet B. Since you are drawing the picture in the frame of reference of the ship, keep in mind which objects change their position in the two drawings and which objects don't move. Indicate the distance of the photon from the ship and the distance of the photon from the original position of planet B in your second picture. Try to relate these two distances to d'.

In the rest frame of the space ship, B is moving and you have to take this into account. I would suggest first finding the time required in the rest frame of A and B and then relating this to the time on the space ship.

1. What is relativistic kinematics?

Relativistic kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It takes into account the effects of special relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers who are moving at a constant velocity.

2. How does special relativity affect the motion of a photon and spaceship?

According to special relativity, the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light will appear the same to all observers, regardless of their own speed. As a result, the motion of a photon and a spaceship will be affected by special relativity in the same way.

3. When will a photon and spaceship meet?

Since a photon travels at the speed of light, it will always appear to be moving at that speed to any observer. Therefore, a photon and spaceship will only meet if they are traveling in the same direction at the same speed. Otherwise, they will never meet.

4. Can a photon and spaceship have different velocities?

No, according to the principles of special relativity, the speed of light is an absolute constant and cannot be exceeded. Therefore, both the photon and spaceship will have the same velocity and can never have different velocities.

5. How does the concept of time dilation apply to the meeting of a photon and spaceship?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. Since a photon travels at the speed of light, time will appear to stand still for the photon. This means that even though a photon and spaceship may appear to be moving towards each other at the same speed, the photon will reach the meeting point much faster from its perspective than from the perspective of the spaceship.