Relativistic kinetic energy comapred to Newtonian

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 9K views
accountkiller
Messages
118
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the speed of a particle whose relativistic kinetic energy is 40% greater than the Newtonian value for the same speed.

Krel = relativistic kinetic energy
Knew = Newtonian kinetic energy


Homework Equations


Krel = (gamma - 1)mc^2
Knew = 0.5mv^2
gamma = 1/sqrt(1-x)
x = v^2 / c^2


The Attempt at a Solution


So I set it up as K(relativistic) = 1.4K(Newton).. because my problem was 40%.
So (gamma - 1)mc^2 = 1.4 (0.5mv^2) and..
(gamma - 1) = (0.7mv^2)/mc^2
... m's on top and bottom cancel out, then I replaced v^2/c^2 by x...
(gamma - 1) = 0.7x
1/sqrt(1-x) = 0.7x + 1
1/(1-x) = (0.7x+1)^2
1 = 0.49x^2 + 14x + 1 - 0.49x^3 - 1.4x^2 - x
0 = x(-0.49x^2 - 1.09x + 0.4)

Using the quadratic formula, I get either x = -3.12 or x = 0.9

Since x = v^2 / c^2,
v = sqrt(x)*c
So I get v = 0.9c

But the answer is 0.61c.

Where did I go wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mbradar2 said:
0 = x(-0.49x^2 - 1.09x + 0.4)
One of the coefficients in this equation is wrong. (Just a little math mistake)
 
Ohh man, how did I not catch that? I reworked this three times, with a calculator even, and didn't notice that little mistake.

Thank you so much! I'm relieved it was just a small math mistake. You're a lifesaver :)