Relativistic Mass and Electrons vs. Muons

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of identical particles and how it relates to relativity. The question is raised about whether a system with a high-energy electron and a muon would follow fermionic or bosonic statistics, and whether relativistic mass is a real concept or just a book-keeping device. The conclusion is that when discussing identical particles, the relevant property is rest mass rather than relativistic mass.
maverick_starstrider
Hi,

I can't say I've really ever done much relativity but this made me wonder. Imagine we have some frame where a muon and an electron are interacting where the electron's energy is so high that its relativistic mass can be said to be HIGHER than that of the muon in the same frame. I realize the exact behavior of such a system is governed by some complicated S-matrix. However, my question is this. On the face of it, would this system obey fermionic or bosonic statistics? Are they indistinguishable particles? Doesn't the behaviour of a system like this force an answer as to whether relativistic mass is a real thing or a book-keeping device for your relativistic corrections. Or do I just know nothing about relativity (very possible).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When we talk about identical particles, we mean identical in terms of properties that can't be altered and that are the same regardless of what frame of reference you use. The relevant property here would be the rest mass, not the relativistic mass (which also is not a concept that physicists really use anymore).

1. What is relativistic mass?

Relativistic mass is a concept in physics that describes how the mass of an object changes as it approaches the speed of light. It is based on Albert Einstein's theory of relativity and suggests that an object's mass increases as its velocity increases, making it more difficult to accelerate.

2. How is relativistic mass different from rest mass?

Rest mass, also known as invariant mass, is the mass of an object when it is at rest. This is the mass that we typically measure and use in everyday calculations. Relativistic mass takes into account the effects of an object's velocity and is only applicable when an object is moving at high speeds close to the speed of light.

3. What are electrons and muons?

Electrons and muons are subatomic particles that make up the fundamental building blocks of matter. They both have a negative charge and are classified as leptons. Electrons are stable particles found in atoms, while muons are heavier and more unstable particles that are often created in high-energy collisions.

4. How do the relativistic masses of electrons and muons compare?

Due to their different masses, the relativistic mass of an electron and a muon will be different at the same velocity. However, at low speeds, the difference in relativistic mass between the two particles is negligible. As the speed approaches the speed of light, the relativistic mass of a muon will be greater than that of an electron.

5. What practical applications does the concept of relativistic mass have?

The concept of relativistic mass is important in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators. It also plays a role in the theory of special relativity and has been used in the development of technologies such as GPS and particle detectors in medical imaging.