Relativistic Uniform Accelerated Motion

In summary, the problem involves calculating the distance traveled by a particle with uniform acceleration equal to the Earth's gravity after 1, 10, and 100 years of proper time. The given equations for position and time are used, but the resulting values for 10 and 100 years are significantly greater than 10 and 100 light years, respectively. This is due to time dilation and the fact that the particle does not need to exceed the speed of light to travel over 10 light years in 10 years of proper time. Further clarification and additional calculations may be necessary to accurately determine the distance traveled by the particle.
VVS

Homework Statement

Hi I am supposed to calculate the distance traveled by a particle that is uniformly accelerated with acceleration equal to the Earth's gravity (i.e. a=9.81m/s^2) after 1, 10 and 100 years proper time.

Homework Equations

We derived in class the four vector which describes the position of the particle:
[itex]t(s)=\frac{c}{a}sinh\left(\frac{as}{c}\right)[/itex]
[itex]x(s)=\frac{c^2}{a}cosh\left(\frac{as}{c}\right)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So far all I did was to substitute in the second equation the values of 1,10,100years. The first result is reasonably since it yields 0.6 lightyears. However the other results yield values which are way above 10 lightyears and 100 lightyears respectively. This can't be possible, because the particle can never exceed the speed of light. So I should get a value which is below 10 and 100 light years.
I am wondering whether I have to do something else. Do I have to find the proper time s through the first equation and then substitute that value in the second equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It does not have to exceed the speed of light to travel over 10 lightyears in 10 years of proper time. If you have something moving close to the speed of light, it will move essentially 10 lightyears in 10 of your years. However, time dilation means that essentially no time will have elapsed for the traveller.

Edit: Of course, these 10 light years are in the frame of an external observer in an inertial frame.

1. What is relativistic uniform accelerated motion?

Relativistic uniform accelerated motion is the motion of an object with a constant acceleration in which the effects of special relativity are taken into account.

2. How is relativistic uniform accelerated motion different from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the laws of motion do not take into account the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. In relativistic uniform accelerated motion, these effects are considered.

3. What is the equation for calculating the velocity in relativistic uniform accelerated motion?

The equation for calculating velocity in relativistic uniform accelerated motion is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How does relativistic uniform accelerated motion affect the concept of inertia?

In relativistic uniform accelerated motion, the concept of inertia is modified due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. The mass of an object increases as it approaches the speed of light, making it harder to accelerate.

5. Can objects with mass reach the speed of light in relativistic uniform accelerated motion?

No, according to the theory of special relativity, objects with mass cannot reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy approach infinity, making it impossible to reach or exceed the speed of light.