Relativity an Quanta? What can I expect?

In summary, this class is about modern physics which was developed about a century ago. It is a medium difficulty course that can be interesting and fun to learn for some students.
SJay16
I'll be entering my sophomore year as a physics major and all the classes seem really cool and standard; however, there is one class I'm curious about.
It's called "Relativity and Quanta" and it's description is as follows;
"Special relativity: Lorentz transformation, dynamics, and conservation laws. Quantum physics: the experimental evidence for quantization; a qualitative discussion of the concepts of quantum mechanics and their application to simple systems of atoms and nuclei."

What can I expect from this class in terms of difficulty for a sophomore level course? Other courses like thermodynamics and mechanics I can find a lot of info on, but not much on this; really interested in quantum physics.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that this is similar to courses titled "Modern Physics" at many universities. If you Google "Modern Physics" courses and texts, you should be able to find a lot of information. Because the material was developed approximately a century ago, some universities change the name of the course from "Modern Physics" to something else.

Most students find this to be a very interesting course, and, because of this interest, many instructors find this to be a fun course to teach. I would rate the difficulty level to be medium, but this can vary from student-to-student and instructor-to-instructor.

George Jones said:
I think that this is similar to courses titled "Modern Physics" at many universities. If you Google "Modern Physics" courses and texts, you should be able to find a lot of information. Because the material was developed approximately a century ago, some universities change the name of the course from "Modern Physics" to something else.

Most students find this to be a very interesting course, and, because of this interest, many instructors find this to be a fun course to teach. I would rate the difficulty level to be medium, but this can vary from student-to-student and instructor-to-instructor.
Thanks for the feeeback, highly appreciated!

1. What is the theory of relativity?

The theory of relativity, developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century, is a physical theory that explains how gravity works and how objects move through space and time. It is comprised of two parts: the special theory of relativity and the general theory of relativity.

2. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of the universe?

The theory of relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by showing that time and space are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's frame of reference. It also explains the relationship between mass, energy, and gravity, and has led to advancements in fields such as astrophysics and cosmology.

3. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is the branch of physics that describes the behavior of particles at a microscopic level. It explains how particles such as atoms and subatomic particles behave and interact with each other. It is a fundamental theory that underlies many modern technologies, such as transistors and lasers.

4. How do relativity and quantum mechanics relate to each other?

Relativity and quantum mechanics are two of the most successful theories in physics, but they describe different aspects of the universe. While relativity explains the behavior of large objects in the universe, quantum mechanics describes the behavior of subatomic particles. The two theories have been successfully combined in some areas, such as in the theory of quantum electrodynamics.

5. What are some practical applications of relativity and quantum mechanics?

Relativity and quantum mechanics have numerous applications in our modern world. For example, GPS technology relies on the principles of relativity to accurately track locations on Earth. Quantum mechanics has also led to advancements in computing and communication technology, such as quantum computers and cryptography.