1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Relativity an Quanta? What can I expect?

1. Jul 5, 2017 #1
    I'll be entering my sophomore year as a physics major and all the classes seem really cool and standard; however, there is one class I'm curious about.
    It's called "Relativity and Quanta" and it's description is as follows;
    "Special relativity: Lorentz transformation, dynamics, and conservation laws. Quantum physics: the experimental evidence for quantization; a qualitative discussion of the concepts of quantum mechanics and their application to simple systems of atoms and nuclei."

What can I expect from this class in terms of difficulty for a sophomore level course? Other courses like thermodynamics and mechanics I can find a lot of info on, but not much on this; really interested in quantum physics.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2017 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that this is similar to courses titled "Modern Physics" at many universities. If you Google "Modern Physics" courses and texts, you should be able to find a lot of information. Because the material was developed approximately a century ago, some universities change the name of the course from "Modern Physics" to something else.

Most students find this to be a very interesting course, and, because of this interest, many instructors find this to be a fun course to teach. I would rate the difficulty level to be medium, but this can vary from student-to-student and instructor-to-instructor.

4. Jul 5, 2017 #3

Thanks for the feeeback, highly appreciated!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted