Relativity : Lorentz Transformation.

So the first equation is used to find the velocity of the Klingon spaceship as observed from Earth, while the second one is used to find the relative velocity between the Starship Enterprise and the Klingon spaceship from the perspective of the Enterprise crew. And c represents the speed of light. Thank you for the explanation, it is very helpful.
Delzac

Homework Statement

Star Trek Question: An enemy Klingon spaceship moves away from Earth at a speed of 0.80c. The Starship Enterprise gives chase and pursues at a speed of 0.90c relative to the Earth. Observers on Earth see the Starship Enterprise overtaking the enemy ship at a relative speed of 0.1c. With what speed is the Starship Enterprise overtaking the Klingon spaceship, as observed by the crew of the Enterprise?

Homework Equations

[tex]V_{a/c} = \frac{V_{a/b} + V_{b/c}}{1 + (V_{a/b} V_{b/c})/c^2}[/tex]

[tex]U'_x = \frac{U_x - V}{1 - (U_x V)/c^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this formula:

Sub in the value where, [tex]U_x = 0.80c[/tex] [tex] V = 0.90c[/tex]

Then i obtained the answer, [tex]U'_x = -0.357c[/tex]

Is this correct?

Also, can someone explain to me what each symbol of the 2 formula means?(the lecture wasn't very clear)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer corresponds with mine.

And for the two equations:
The second equation listed at the end, involving U':
you have two inertial frames, let's say S, and S'. The S' frame is moving at a speed V(observers on spaceship), while frame S is motionless (observers on Earth).

lets add your Klingon spaceship

U is the velocity of the Klingon spaceship as observed in S.
V is the speed of frame S' (i.e. the speed of the Starship Enterprise)
U' is the speed of the Klingon Spaceship as observed in S'.

and c is the speed of light.The first equation you have there,
is the velocity addition formula. Let's say you measure the velocity ([tex]V_{b/c}[/tex]) of a particle in the moving S' frame, which is traveling at [tex]V_{a/b}[/tex]. Then from a "fixed" frame S, the velocity ([tex]V_{a/c}[/tex]) of the particle can be found using that equation.

In star trek terms:
Let S be the fixed, motionless frame of the observers on Earth, and S' be the frame of the people on board the Enterprise.
The crew on board the Enterprise see the Klingon spaceship move with a velocity [tex]V_{b/c}[/tex] (which is the answer you found from the question). The Enterprise (frame S') itself is moving at a velocity [tex]V_{a/b}[/tex]. Then you can use these two velocities to find the velocity of the Klingon spaceship as observed from earth, [tex]V_{a/c}[/tex].I'm learning relativity right now too, in my mechanics course, so I hope this is helpful. I wish my professor made our homework questions this interesting too.

Last edited:
Ah, i see, thanks for the help.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein in 1905 that explains the relationship between space and time. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, and that the speed of light is constant for all observers.

2. What is the Lorentz transformation?

The Lorentz transformation is a mathematical formula used in special relativity to describe how measurements of space and time differ for observers in different frames of reference. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

3. How does the Lorentz transformation affect time?

The Lorentz transformation shows that time is relative and can appear to pass at different rates for observers in different frames of reference. This is known as time dilation, and it occurs at high speeds or in the presence of strong gravitational fields.

4. What is length contraction in the context of the Lorentz transformation?

Length contraction is the phenomenon where an object appears shorter in the direction of its motion when observed by an outside observer. This is a result of the Lorentz transformation and occurs at high speeds when an object's velocity approaches the speed of light.

5. How does the Lorentz transformation impact our understanding of space and time?

The Lorentz transformation revolutionized our understanding of space and time by showing that they are not absolute concepts, but are instead relative to the observer's frame of reference. This theory has been confirmed through numerous experiments and has implications for our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.