Show Light Has The Same Velocity in S and S'

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the x and y components of velocity for a light ray moving along the y′ axis in frame S′, while frame S is moving with a speed v along the x-x′ axes. The equation for the velocity transformation is given, and the goal is to show that the light ray still has a speed of c in frame S. The attempt at a solution involves setting u'_x to 0 and solving for u_x, but the result is unclear. The responder advises to think about how to get speed from the x and y components of velocity.
MattTrimble

Homework Statement

Consider the velocity transformation equations. Find the x and y components of the velocity in the frame S of a light ray that has speed c along the y′axis of frame S′ where S and S′are the usual frames we have been considering with S′ moving with speed v with respect to S along the common x − x′ axes. Show that the light ray has speed c in the frame S.

Homework Equations

1. u'_x = (u_x-v)/{1-(v*u_x/c^2)}
2. u'_y = u_y/{gamma(1-(v*u_x/c^2))}
3. u'_z = u_z/{gamma(1-(v*u_x/c^2))}

The Attempt at a Solution

u_z = u'_z = 0, obviously. I'm looking for u_x and u_y, so I need to start with u_x. I set u'_x to 0 and solved, getting u_x = v. I'm not sure if that's right, or if I should've gotten c, but I tried to plug u_x = v into equation 2, and did not get that u_y was c.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Think about how to get speed from the x and y components of velocity.

What is the concept of "Show Light Has The Same Velocity in S and S'"?

The concept of "Show Light Has The Same Velocity in S and S'" refers to the principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion. This means that the speed of light is constant and does not change regardless of the frame of reference or the observer's velocity.

Why is it important to understand the concept of "Show Light Has The Same Velocity in S and S'"?

Understanding this concept is important because it forms the basis of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It also helps us understand the fundamental nature of time, space, and motion, and has far-reaching implications in fields such as cosmology, quantum mechanics, and electromagnetism.

How was the principle of "Show Light Has The Same Velocity in S and S'" discovered?

The principle was first proposed by Galileo in the 17th century and was further developed by Isaac Newton in his laws of motion. However, it was not until Albert Einstein's famous thought experiment involving the speed of light that the principle was fully understood and incorporated into the theory of special relativity.

Can the principle of "Show Light Has The Same Velocity in S and S'" be tested?

Yes, the principle has been extensively tested and has been found to be consistent with all experimental results. It has also been confirmed by various technological advancements such as GPS systems, which rely on the principle to function accurately.

Are there any exceptions to the principle of "Show Light Has The Same Velocity in S and S'"?

No, the principle has been proven to hold true in all observed cases. It is considered a fundamental law of nature and has not been found to have any exceptions.