Relativity problem solving help time dilation

In summary: Since you've already solved the problems, you should have no problem recreating your solutions and posting them here.(How can we give you "other" methods if we don't know the methods you already used?)
wackyscience
Relativity problem solving help! time dilation

http://courses.physics.illinois.edu/phys225/sp2013/homework/225-hwk01.pdf

Please click on the top link ^ to see the questions. I have already solved them and turned it in, however i would like to see how others would approach the questions and what mathematical manipulations are widely accepted for solving relativity problems.
Please answers 1-4. and please give a few words of reasoning for your answer Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

wackyscience said:
Please answers 1-4. and please give a few words of reasoning for your answer
The way it works here is that YOU provide your solutions and then you'll get comments and suggestions for alternate ways to solve the problems.

Do them one at a time.

Doc Al said:
The way it works here is that YOU provide your solutions and then you'll get comments and suggestions for alternate ways to solve the problems.

Do them one at a time.

Perhaps you have not read my initial post truly, " i have solved them and turned it in."
This means i don't have it! If I received it back , then i wouldn't be on here asking for others methods of solving. I would already have teacher corrected solutions!
I am not being objective, being solely direct.

wackyscience said:
Perhaps you have not read my initial post truly, " i have solved them and turned it in."
Perhaps you have not read our posting rules, which are linked at the top of every page; note especially the section titled "Homework Help Guidelines".
This means i don't have it! If I received it back , then i wouldn't be on here asking for others methods of solving. I would already have teacher corrected solutions!
I am not being objective, being solely direct.
Since you've already solved the problems, you should have no problem recreating your solutions and posting them here.

(How can we give you "other" methods if we don't know the methods you already used?)

I would approach these questions using the principles of special relativity, which describe how time, space, and mass are affected by the relative motion of objects. The first question asks about the time dilation experienced by a spaceship traveling at a constant velocity relative to Earth. To solve this, I would use the equation t' = t/√(1-v^2/c^2), where t is the time measured by an observer on Earth, t' is the time measured by an observer on the spaceship, v is the velocity of the spaceship, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that as the velocity of the spaceship approaches the speed of light, the time measured on the spaceship will slow down relative to the time on Earth.

For the second question, I would use the same equation to calculate the time dilation for a spaceship traveling at a constant acceleration. However, since the velocity is changing, I would need to use the equation v = at to find the velocity at each time step, and then plug that into the time dilation equation. This would show that as the spaceship accelerates, the time dilation will increase, resulting in a larger difference between the time measured on the spaceship and on Earth.

The third question asks about the time dilation experienced by a person traveling on a spaceship that is moving away from Earth and then returning. To solve this, I would use the concept of the twin paradox, which states that the twin who travels away from Earth and returns will have experienced less time than the twin who stays on Earth. This can be explained using the time dilation equation, as the twin on the spaceship will experience time dilation both when they are moving away from Earth and when they are returning.

Lastly, the fourth question asks about the time dilation experienced by a person traveling on a spaceship that is moving in a circular orbit around Earth. In this case, I would use the equation for the time dilation in a gravitational field, t' = t/√(1-2GM/rc^2), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of Earth, r is the distance from Earth's center, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that as the distance from Earth decreases, the time dilation will increase. I would also take into account the effects of the spaceship's velocity, using the first equation mentioned, as the spaceship will also experience time dilation due to its speed.

Overall, these questions demonstrate the complex

1. What is the concept of time dilation in relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for an observer who is moving at a high velocity or in a strong gravitational field, compared to an observer who is at rest. This concept is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity.

2. How is time dilation calculated?

Time dilation is calculated using the equation t' = t / √(1 - v^2 / c^2), where t' is the time measured by the moving observer, t is the time measured by the stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving observer, and c is the speed of light.

3. What are some real-world examples of time dilation?

One example of time dilation is the famous "twin paradox", where one twin travels at high speeds in space while the other twin stays on Earth. When the traveling twin returns, they will have aged less than their Earth-bound twin due to time dilation. Another example is the Global Positioning System (GPS), which must account for time dilation effects in order to provide accurate navigation.

4. How does time dilation affect our perception of time?

Time dilation can make time appear to pass slower for objects in motion, which can affect our perception of time. This effect has been observed in experiments with atomic clocks, which have been shown to run slower when in motion compared to stationary clocks. However, for everyday speeds and gravitational fields, the difference in time perception is too small to be noticeable.

5. Can time dilation be reversed?

According to the theory of relativity, time dilation is a fundamental aspect of the universe and cannot be reversed. It is a consequence of the fact that the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all observers. However, there are some theories that suggest time dilation may have a reverse effect in certain extreme scenarios, such as near the event horizon of a black hole.