Relativity - Time Dilation - Solving for t

In summary: Got it. Thank you so much for your help!In summary, the passenger on the spaceship measures his heartbeat as 60 beats per minute. According to an observer at rest relative to Earth, the passenger's heartbeat rate would be 48 beats per minute. This can be calculated using the formula Δt = γ * Δt initial, where γ = 1.25 and Δt initial is the proper time taken for 60 beats.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

A spaceship approaches Earth with a speed of 0.6c. A
passenger in the spaceship measures his heartbeat as 60 beats
per minute. What is his heartbeat rate according to an
observer who is rest relative to Earth?

1. 48 beats per minute
2. 56 beats per minute
3. 65 beats per minute
4. 69 beats per minute

Homework Equations

Δt = γ * Δt initial
γ = 1 / [1-(v^2/c^2)]^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Δt initial = 60
γ = 1.25

(60)(1.25) = 75 bpm

not an option

Physics news on Phys.org
PeachBanana said:

Homework Statement

A spaceship approaches Earth with a speed of 0.6c. A
passenger in the spaceship measures his heartbeat as 60 beats
per minute. What is his heartbeat rate according to an
observer who is rest relative to Earth?

1. 48 beats per minute
2. 56 beats per minute
3. 65 beats per minute
4. 69 beats per minute

Homework Equations

Δt = γ * Δt initial
γ = 1 / [1-(v^2/c^2)]^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Δt initial = 60
γ = 1.25

(60)(1.25) = 75 bpm

not an option

Hint: If an event is timed in the frame of the ship to be 1s in duration (this is the proper time), what is the duration as measured in the Earth frame?

What is the relationship between period (has units of time) and frequency (like a heartbeat rate)?

Can you now work out the answer?

EDIT: And I have to say you're rather lucky that 75bpm was not an option, because it's wrong. If I was setting the question, I would've tricked people with that option.

Last edited:
Period and frequency are inversely related. So since heart beat is frequency, 60 bpm, period would be 1/60 min. My next problem is the SI unit of time is not minutes but if I convert I get 1/3600 seconds.

PeachBanana said:
Period and frequency are inversely related. So since heart beat is frequency, 60 bpm, period would be 1/60 min. My next problem is the SI unit of time is not minutes but if I convert I get 1/3600 seconds.

Don't overcomplicate it. You know the factor by which time measurements in the two frames are related (you've already worked it out). Now can you figure out the factor by which frequencies in the two frames are related?

Last edited:
I still don't think I quite understand...I think I might be stuck on the whole minutes to seconds thing.

Edit: Does it even matter that it's in minutes since the final answer is in minutes too?

60 beats per minute is one beat per second. If it takes 1 second between beats in the rest frame, how many seconds are measured to occur between the same two beats by observers in the other frame? If it takes t seconds between beats in the other frame, how many beats occur in 60 seconds (in terms of t)?

I think after re-reading and thinking and google searching it has dawned on me, haha. So we know 60 beats per minute means one beat / one second which is the same as...

1 / 60 s.

PeachBanana said:
I think after re-reading and thinking and google searching it has dawned on me, haha. So we know 60 beats per minute means one beat / one second which is the same as...

1 / 60 s.

How is one beat per second equal to 1/60s? The latter implies 1 beat per 60 seconds!

The guy on the ship measures 1 beat per second.

The guy on Earth sees the same beat but times it as ? seconds.

What's "?"

Now, what heart rate does the Earth guy measure?

(You shouldn't even have to care about minutes and seconds, all you need is the factor that relates time measurements in one frame to the other.)

Oh, wow. Should I be thinking about γ = 1.25? Because...60 / 1.25 = 48.

PeachBanana said:
Oh, wow. Should I be thinking about γ = 1.25? Because...60 / 1.25 = 48.

Of course. You already calculated γ = 1.25. So a proper time duration of 1s (ship frame) is measured as 1.25s from earth. Therefore the heartbeat is correspondingly slower (more time between beats), and it's as you calculated (in beats per minute).

For clarification: Was I incorrect in stating Δt initial was 60?

PeachBanana said:
For clarification: Was I incorrect in stating Δt initial was 60?

You need to define your Δt "initial". In this case, it's not obvious. If you meant that Δt "initial" is the proper time taken for 60 beats of the ship guy's heart, then yes, that's correct.

The reason I put the "initial" in quotes is because I don't think it's a good descriptor. Better to call it "proper".

1. What is relativity and how does it relate to time dilation?

Relativity is a theory proposed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between time, space, and gravity. Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by relativity, where time passes at different rates for objects moving at different speeds or experiencing different levels of gravity.

2. How is time dilation calculated and can it be solved for t?

Time dilation is calculated using the formula t' = t / √(1 - v^2/c^2), where t is the time experienced by an observer, t' is the time experienced by an object moving at a velocity v, and c is the speed of light. This formula can be rearranged to solve for t.

3. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life. For example, GPS satellites orbiting the Earth experience time dilation due to their high speeds, causing them to have slightly different time measurements than clocks on the ground. This effect must be taken into account in order for GPS technology to function accurately.

4. How does time dilation affect the aging process?

Time dilation can affect the aging process for objects moving at high speeds or experiencing strong gravitational forces. For example, a person traveling in a spaceship at near the speed of light would age slower than someone on Earth due to time dilation. This effect is very small and would only be noticeable for extremely high speeds or strong gravitational forces.

5. Can time dilation be used to travel through time?

No, time dilation cannot be used to travel through time. While it does alter the perception of time for objects in motion, it does not allow for traveling to the past or future. Additionally, reaching the necessary speeds for significant time dilation would require an immense amount of energy that is currently not possible with our technology.