1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity and Space-Time Diagrams

1. Mar 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

S' is moving at 0.5c relative to S.

Two events, stationary with respect to S, occur at a distance of 4 light years from the origin at time 3 years and 6.5 years. Estimate the time between the events as measured by an observer in S'. Check your solution with the time dilation formula.

2. Relevant equations

Time dilation: γ=ΔT / ΔT0

Since v=0.5c, then γ = 1.155

3. The attempt at a solution

I first placed the points for the two events at the coordinates (4, 3) and (4, 6.5) on the space-time diagram with the grid that corresponds to the reference frame of S. If I then see what the y-axis readings are for the reference frame of S', I get 1.0 years and 5.0 years. Therefore, the time between the events according to S' must be 4.0 years.

Since S is stationary with respect to the two events, then ΔT0 = 3.5 years.

3.5 * 1.155 = 4.0 years

I'd like some verification if I did this correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Can you show your sketch?
    You can use the time-dilation formula as cross-check. It is part of the problem anyway.

4. Mar 13, 2016 #3
    Yep, here's a photo. The dots I've drawn are in blue.

Physics Spacetime DIagram.JPG

5. Mar 13, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Looks fine.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted