1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relaxed spring between two carts

1. Oct 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 2.0-kg cart and an 8.0-kg cart are connected by a relaxed, horizontal spring of spring constant300 N/m. You pull the 8.0-kg cart with some constant horizontal force. The separation between the carts increases for a short time interval, then remains constant as you continue to pull and the spring is stretched by 0.100 m.
    I need to find out what pulling force was exerted on the 8kg cart.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi um20018. http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

So how will you go about it? What equations will you need?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Oct 1, 2014 #3
    Knowing that F=k*deltaX I figure that the spring is stretched with a force of 30N. But that answer doesn't seem to be right. I know it must have something to do with the other mass at the end of the spring but I don't know how that would relate.

5. Oct 1, 2014 #4

gneill

Consider a Free Body Diagram of the smaller cart first. What force is acting on it? What's the resulting acceleration of that cart? Can you conclude anything about the acceleration of the system as a whole (once the spring stretching has stabilized as described)?

6. Oct 1, 2014 #5
    The force acting on the smaller cart is from the spring, and equals 30N. The acceleration of that cart would be 15 m/s^2. The acceleration of the system after the spring stretching has stabilized would be, I think, the same as just the small block because the system would be moving as a whole.

7. Oct 1, 2014 #6

gneill

Right. So what force do you need to apply to the whole system to make it accelerate at that rate?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted