1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Compressed Spring Between Two Boxes

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two blocks of masses M and 2M are on a frictionless horizontal surface and are held in place with a compressed spring of negligible mass between them. If the blocks are then released and the block of mass 2M leaves the spring with a velocity v, the velocity of the center of mass of the blocks is

A zero
    B -(v/2)
    C -(2v/3)
    D -(3v/2)
    E -2v

2. Relevant equations
    n/a ?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I do not understand how the center of mass relates to the movement of the blocks. I remember from class that if an object exploded into thousands of pieces the center of mass would still be at the original position.
    So I assume it is A. Zero.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2
    Can you explain why it would be zero? I mean, you are right. But it might be beneficial to examine the problem a little more deeply.

4. May 5, 2015 #3
    I am not quite sure but I thought it is similar or identical sort of to an explosion.

5. May 5, 2015 #4
    It is very similar to an explosion. Try using conservation of linear momentum and the equation for the velocity of the center of mass of a system of particles (or blocks, in this case) to show why your answer is correct.

6. May 5, 2015 #5
    For linear momentum :
    Pi=Pf
    0 = m(-2v) + (2mv)
    0 = -2mv + 2mv
    0 = 0
    Linear momentum is conserved.

Hmm, I don't really know an equation for the velocity of the center of mass of a system of particles. I know that the velocities of the boxes are both in opposite directions.

7. May 6, 2015 #6
    It isn't too difficult to prove.

Start with the equation for the center of mass of a system of particles. If you don't know that either, you can find it here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cm.html.

Any ideas on what you can do to this equation to create an equation for the velocity of the center of mass?
    It involves calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted