Compressed Spring Between Two Boxes

In summary, a compressed spring between two boxes is a mechanical system that involves a spring being compressed between two objects. This results in potential energy being stored in the spring, which can then be converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released. This system has various applications, including in shock absorbers, car suspensions, and door closers. The amount of energy stored in the spring is dependent on the spring constant and the distance of compression. Additionally, the force of the spring can be calculated using Hooke's law.
Soniteflash

Homework Statement

Two blocks of masses M and 2M are on a frictionless horizontal surface and are held in place with a compressed spring of negligible mass between them. If the blocks are then released and the block of mass 2M leaves the spring with a velocity v, the velocity of the center of mass of the blocks is

A zero
B -(v/2)
C -(2v/3)
D -(3v/2)
E -2v

Homework Equations

n/a ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not understand how the center of mass relates to the movement of the blocks. I remember from class that if an object exploded into thousands of pieces the center of mass would still be at the original position.
So I assume it is A. Zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Soniteflash said:
I do not understand how the center of mass relates to the movement of the blocks. I remember from class that if an object exploded into thousands of pieces the center of mass would still be at the original position.
So I assume it is A. Zero.

Can you explain why it would be zero? I mean, you are right. But it might be beneficial to examine the problem a little more deeply.

AlephNumbers said:
Can you explain why it would be zero? I mean, you are right. But it might be beneficial to examine the problem a little more deeply.
I am not quite sure but I thought it is similar or identical sort of to an explosion.

It is very similar to an explosion. Try using conservation of linear momentum and the equation for the velocity of the center of mass of a system of particles (or blocks, in this case) to show why your answer is correct.

For linear momentum :
Pi=Pf
0 = m(-2v) + (2mv)
0 = -2mv + 2mv
0 = 0
Linear momentum is conserved.

Hmm, I don't really know an equation for the velocity of the center of mass of a system of particles. I know that the velocities of the boxes are both in opposite directions.

It isn't too difficult to prove.

Start with the equation for the center of mass of a system of particles. If you don't know that either, you can find it here http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/cm.html.

Any ideas on what you can do to this equation to create an equation for the velocity of the center of mass?
It involves calculus.

Related to Compressed Spring Between Two Boxes

1. What is a compressed spring between two boxes?

A compressed spring between two boxes is a physical system where a spring is placed between two boxes and compressed, causing the spring to store potential energy.

2. How does a compressed spring between two boxes work?

When a spring is compressed between two boxes, it experiences a force that tries to push the two boxes apart. This force is known as the restoring force and is proportional to the displacement of the spring. The spring will continue to exert a force until it reaches its original, uncompressed length.

3. What factors affect the behavior of a compressed spring between two boxes?

The behavior of a compressed spring between two boxes depends on several factors, including the stiffness of the spring, the distance it is compressed, and the mass of the boxes. These factors affect the amount of potential energy stored in the spring and the force it exerts.

4. What are the applications of a compressed spring between two boxes?

A compressed spring between two boxes has various applications in everyday life. It is commonly used in mechanical devices such as door hinges, shock absorbers, and car suspensions. It can also be used in toys, exercise equipment, and industrial machinery.

5. How can the potential energy of a compressed spring between two boxes be calculated?

The potential energy stored in a compressed spring between two boxes can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 kx^2, where k is the spring constant and x is the distance the spring is compressed. The spring constant can be determined by measuring the force needed to compress the spring by a certain distance.