Compressed spring between two particles

In summary, when Particle A and Particle B are released from a compressed spring, the spring pushes them apart and they fly off in opposite directions with all of the spring's stored energy being transferred to the particles. The mass of Particle A is 2.00 times the mass of Particle B and the energy stored in the spring is 60 J. Using conservation of mechanical energy and momentum, we can determine that Particle A has one third of the kinetic energy and Particle B has two thirds of the kinetic energy, as expected due to their mass differences.
AlephNumbers

Homework Statement

Particle A and Particle B are held together with a compressed spring between them. When they are released, the spring pushes them apart, and they then fly off in opposite directions, free of the spring. The mass of A is 2.00 times the mass of B, and the energy stored in the spring was 60 J. Assume the spring has negligible mass and that all its stored energy is transferred to the particles. Once that transfer is complete, what are the kinetic energies of (a) particle A and (b) particle B?

Homework Equations

Us = (1/2)kx2
K = (1/2)mv2
∑pi = ∑pi

The Attempt at a Solution

Using conservation of mechanical energy, I get
mbva2 + (1/2)mbvb2 = 60 J

Setting the initial momentum equal to the final momentum, I get
2mbva + mbvb = 0

Solving for vb I get
vb = -2va

Substituting that into the energy equation
mbva2 + 2mbvb2 = 60 J

Substituting k for mbva2
k + 2k = 60 J
Particle A has one third of the kinetic energy and particle B has two thirds of the kinetic energy. This seems to make sense since particle B has less mass than A.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right. The body with half the mass will have twice the velocity so twice the energy.

haruspex said:
The body with half the mass will have twice the velocity so twice the energy.

That is what my intuition told me, but I just wanted to make sure. Thank you!

1. What is a compressed spring between two particles?

A compressed spring between two particles refers to a situation where a spring is being pushed or squeezed between two objects or particles. This results in a force being exerted on the spring, causing it to compress or become shorter in length.

2. How does a compressed spring between two particles work?

When a spring is compressed between two particles, it stores potential energy within its coils. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy when the spring is released, causing it to expand and push the particles apart with equal and opposite forces.

3. What factors affect the compression of a spring between two particles?

The amount of force applied, the distance between the particles, and the stiffness of the spring are the main factors that affect the compression of a spring between two particles. A stronger force, shorter distance, and stiffer spring will result in a greater compression.

4. What is the formula for calculating the compression of a spring between two particles?

The formula for calculating the compression of a spring between two particles is:
C = F/k
Where C is the compression, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant which represents the stiffness of the spring.

5. What are some real-life applications of compressed springs between two particles?

Compressed springs between two particles are commonly used in various mechanical devices such as shock absorbers, car suspension systems, and door hinges. They are also used in toys, furniture, and sports equipment to provide elasticity and cushioning. Additionally, compressed springs are used in measuring instruments to indicate the amount of force being applied.