Reliability of low-cost accelerometers in commercial applications

In summary, the low cost accelerometer found in this application is not as sensitive as some of the more expensive models, but this is not a big issue. The accelerometer is placed in a IP65 box to protect from external weather conditions. Temperatures can vary between +15 degrees Celsius to +45 degrees Celsius. I2C bus protocols are used to communicate with the accelerometers. There is redundancy built into the design in case one accelerometer fails. If it was a critical application, then three accelerometers with independent processors would be used to vote on which accelerometer was reliable.
marellasunny
My question relates to the reliability of low-cost accelerometers (MMA7455,ADXL345 etc.) in commercial products with a expected life expectancy of 5 years or more. The tilt angle reading from the accelerometer will be used as a feedback parameter to orient a single-axis plate-reflector positioning mechanism. From testing, I gather that the tilt sensitivity of both accelerometers are coarse but this doesn't really affect my positioning accuracy that much. So, sensitivity isn't a big issue.

The accelerometer is placed in a IP65 box to protect from external weather conditions. The box is always shaded by the reflector plates are is not directly exposed to weather per say. Temperatures can vary between +15 degrees Celsius to +45 degrees Celsius. I use I2C bus protocols to communicate with the accelerometers.

Price:
These accelerometers cost around $5.
I am willing to spend upto $30 because service costs can dig a hole into my budget. ADXL103/203 seems to be a good alternative but then shipping costs to my country cost more than the product itself!

My second query-
Redundancy in engineering design: I have yet to come-up with an alternative in-case the accelerometer fails. Maybe using 2 accelerometers would do the trick? Please advice.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this application is critical (like aircraft attitude) I wouldn't trust a single cheap accelerometer. Home electronics that use cheap accelerometers accurately typically have more than one chip which produces an average. Even game controllers tend to have this setup. As for reliability, you may need the advice of an industry expert. It's hard to answer that question without some resources like a large product deployment and customer feedback database.

I put "accelerometer design" into a Google search and found somebody called Willcoxon who makes industrial grade accelerometers. I bet their units are guaranteed to be reliable but probably not cheap.

Likes marellasunny
Aaron Crowl said:
Home electronics that use cheap accelerometers accurately typically have more than one chip which produces an average. Even game controllers tend to have this setup.
Thank you for the reply. No this is not a critical application like aircraft systems. Although, if accelerometer did fail in my system, errors would accumulate over a period of few days and system positioning would become highly inaccurate. No safety issue though.
The reason 2 cheap accelerometers are used in home electronics (instead of 1 ) is to make sure device still functions despite 1 accelerometer fail?

I found a good accelerometer IC 'ADXL103'. But, I would still like to explore your idea of using 2 accelerometers on the I2C bus as it provides failure redundancy.

If you fit two accelerometers where one might be expected to fail at some time, then you need some way to tell when one has failed. You would need to read the two accelerometers at the same time, then compute the sum and difference. Half of the sum gives the average, while the difference detects a failure.

Any failure should flag a repair alarm, but it would be good if the software could reliably fall back to the one that still works until the repair is done. If the accelerometers are identical then the module with both should be replaced when either one fails as the other is probably from the same batch with the same history and life expectancy.

If it was a critical application, then three accelerometers with independent processors would be used to vote on which accelerometer was reliable.

Likes marellasunny

1. What is the reliability of low-cost accelerometers in commercial applications?

The reliability of low-cost accelerometers in commercial applications depends on various factors such as the quality of the accelerometer, the conditions in which it is used, and the calibration process. However, in general, low-cost accelerometers have been found to have a high level of reliability and can provide accurate measurements in commercial applications.

2. How accurate are low-cost accelerometers in commercial applications?

The accuracy of low-cost accelerometers can vary depending on the specific model and brand. However, studies have shown that most low-cost accelerometers have a margin of error of less than 5%, making them suitable for many commercial applications.

3. Are low-cost accelerometers suitable for long-term use in commercial applications?

Low-cost accelerometers are designed to be durable and can withstand long-term use in commercial applications. However, it is important to regularly calibrate the accelerometer to ensure accurate and reliable measurements over time.

4. Can low-cost accelerometers be used in harsh environments?

Some low-cost accelerometers are specifically designed to withstand harsh environments, such as extreme temperatures and high levels of vibration. However, it is important to check the specifications of the accelerometer to ensure it is suitable for the specific environment in which it will be used.

5. How do I know if a low-cost accelerometer is reliable for my specific commercial application?

It is recommended to conduct thorough research on the specific model and brand of the low-cost accelerometer before making a purchase. Additionally, consulting with experts in the field or conducting a trial run in the intended application can also help determine the reliability of the accelerometer for your specific needs.