Remembering the Christchurch Quakes: Can You Still Recognize Your Old Haunts?

  • Thread starter Thread starter davenn
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Messages
9,747
Reaction score
11,967
hi Guys and Gals

just a little earthquake humour from my home country...

As many of you may know, Christchurch City in New Zealand suffered badly in the series of large quakes throughout 2010 and 2011. Here's a little humour and stress relief from one of the city councils...

attachment.php?attachmentid=58326&stc=1&d=1367224334.jpg


cheers
Dave
 
Attachments
  • CHCH Rd Sign.jpg
    CHCH Rd Sign.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 823
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
That's funny, thanks for sharing!
 
That seems to be Christchurch Southern Motorway, near Canterbury Agricultural Park, with Cashmere Hills in the distance.
 
Astronuc said:
That seems to be Christchurch Southern Motorway, near Canterbury Agricultural Park, with Cashmere Hills in the distance.

Yes, quite possibly, definitely the Port Hills in the background
Im heading over there in July to catch up with my kids and my ma and pa and co.
Will have to see if this sign is still there and if I can find it.

I stole the pic from my daughter's facebook page ;)

Dave
 
davenn said:
Yes, quite possibly, definitely the Port Hills in the background
Im heading over there in July to catch up with my kids and my ma and pa and co.
Will have to see if this sign is still there and if I can find it.

I stole the pic from my daughter's facebook page ;)

Dave
Port Hills is the proper name. Lyttelton would be on the other side. I have a 3rd cousin who lives in Cashmere Hills which is up in the hills below the crest. Their house was damaged, but they have a place up north on the SI.
 
Can't believe it has been more than 2 years. I lived the Christchurch in Fendalton till around 1995, my parents regularly take a walk in Mona Vale and see the ducks in Avon River. With the quakes and what not I'm pretty sure I won't be able to recognise anything if I ever go to these places again.