Removal of a password from a document

• Thread starter mech-eng
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of removing a password from a PDF document without using a program. The person asking the question is informed that it is not possible to do anything with a PDF document without using a program. The conversation also suggests alternative methods for accessing the text within the document, such as copying and pasting or using screen shots. It is mentioned that even if the password is removed, the document is still encrypted and cannot be read without a program.
mech-eng
Hi, I have a pdf document and know its password. Is there anyway to remove that password from that document without using a program?

Thank you.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't see how you can do anything whatsoever with a PDF document - a collection of bits on storage - without using a program.

Vanadium 50 said:
I don't see how you can do anything whatsoever with a PDF document - a collection of bits on storage - without using a program.

I thought there might be an option for this which could have been used when resaving.

Thank you.

You can view the text, mark the text and then copy it to a word processor document unless that's been disabled. If it has then you could take screen shots or print the document and rescan it with an OCR device to recover the text.

Its not simply a matter of removing the password as the password is used to encrypt the document meaning even if you dumped the file as hexidecimal codes you wouldn't be able to read anything.

Likes rkolter

1. How can I remove a password from a document?

To remove a password from a document, you will need to have access to the original password that was used to protect the document. Once you have the password, open the document and go to the "File" menu. Then, select "Info" and click on "Protect Document". From there, you can choose "Encrypt with Password" and delete the existing password to remove it from the document.

2. Can I remove a password from a document if I don't know the original password?

No, in order to remove a password from a document, you will need to have the original password that was used to protect it. Without this password, you will not be able to access the document and remove the password.

3. Will removing a password from a document affect the document's content?

Removing a password from a document will not affect the document's content. The only change will be that the document will no longer be protected by a password, making it accessible to anyone who has access to the file.

4. Is it possible to remove a password from a document on a mobile device?

Yes, it is possible to remove a password from a document on a mobile device. The steps may vary depending on the specific device and application being used, but generally, you will need to open the document and go to the "Security" or "Protect" section to remove the password.

5. Can I remove a password from a document permanently?

Yes, you can remove a password from a document permanently. Once you have removed the password using the steps mentioned above, it will no longer be required to access the document. However, you can also choose to add a new password to the document at any time if you wish to protect it again.